Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:32 PM   #1

I am considering selling my D7 and replacing it with an A2. The documentation for the camera says that "Flex Digital Magnifier (FDM) allows you to magnify the focusing point by 3.3x".

Steve's review (page 3) show this feature going to x2 to x8.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a2_pg2.html

Since I make heavy use of manual focus, x8 verses x3.3 is a huge selling point. It is hard to argue with a picture.

Could someone who owns the camera please go into both DMF and into manual focus and try this feature? How does it work in reality? I'm worried that this feature might have been a revoked pre-production that Steve accidentally discovered in his test camera.

Thanks!
RS Blum
minolta_dimage_7_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2004, 2:34 PM   #2

Not sure where Steve got the 2x, 8x from, nothing in my manual. The documentation appears to be correct, theFlex Digital Magnifier (FDM) does only allow 3.3x magnification on my A2, only usable in Manual Focus.Whereas the Direct Manual Focus (DMF) allows you to fine tune the focus via a wire ring on the lens barreleven in Auto focus. The only 2x i can see is the digital zoom which of course can be used when shooting or, when reviewing it allows you to zoom from 2x up to 10.2x depending on the image size. Perhaps a little confusion with FDM & DMF ?

Hope this helps.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 3:05 PM   #3

Thanks.

I guess Steve copied the picture from the A1 review (it supports 8x). Steve, are you listening? Since I do somuch manual focus work and use RAW exclusively and the A2 does not support playback magnification of captured RAWs:angry:, the 8x would have cinched it for me. 3.3x for 8MP during captureis farless than the 4x on my 5mpD7.

I'll just have to try the camera at the camera store, I guess.

Again, thanks.

-RS Blum
minolta_dimage_7_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 3:11 PM   #4

Your welcome, good luck.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote