Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:47 PM   #1
a2b

Having bought this camera after much research and high recommendations from reviews in the UK for its predecessor the Konica 510Z I would say the camera is brilliant, build quality and finish exceptional probably the perfect point and shoot. Not many cameras feel so good to hold or take such wonderful sharp pictures, outdoors but can anyone help me to adjust the camera indoors where apart from good flash photography it doesn't seem to want to always focus properly even in a well lit tungsten light room or without flash pictures are never sharp or focus in the same room or in low light condition,again, blurry and not sharp or is it camera shake? Even though I adjusted the lowest shutter speed to 1/25th of a second and uped ISO to 200 on 400 ISO far too grainy so can't use that. Any advise would be appreciated, is there a firm ware upgrade that might help. I understand there is already for the 500/510 models. Rodney UK
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:57 PM   #2
Administrator

As far as blur when not using a flash, it's most likely motion blur. Keep in mind that the "general rule of thumb" is that you need to have a shutter speed of 1/focal length or faster to prevent blur from camera shake. For example, if shooting at 39mm equivalent focal length (full wide angle), you'll need a shutter speed of 1/39 or faster. If shooting at a 117mm equivalent focal length, you'll need a shutter speed of 1/117 or faster. Of course, your "mileage may vary", as some people can hold a camera much steadier than others.

The lenses on subcompact models are fairly slow -- F/2.8 at full wide angle, stopping down to only F/4.9 at full zoom. So, dramatically more light reaches the sensor through the lens at the wide angle setting. Even at full wide angle, in most lighting conditions, you'd have a hard time using one without a flash without getting blur. This type of lens is common on almost all subcompact models (about F/2.8-F/4.9).

So, stay at full wide angle whenever possible. This will increase focus accuracy and flash range, too.

For whatever reason, the new G400 and G600 models don't seem to focus quite as well indoors, compared to the G500/KD-510z. See the conclusion section in the reviews here at Steve's Digicams for his comments on low light focus (surprisingly well for the G500, not so good for the G400 and G600).

However, I'veseen some complaints from G500 owners, too. My theory is that it has to do with a variation in CCD quality (noise levels) between different batches of CCD's. I've seen G500 users with one that would not focus correctly, swap it for another one that focuses fine.

I've also noticed that these models "gain up" momentarily when you half press the shutter button. This gaining up increases noise. So, I think that the densor CCD's in the G400 and G600 models have more noise during this "gain up" process, so the camera is unable to see contrast in the subject as well (because of the noise). As a result, they are not able to focus as reliably.

Keep in mind that because the 6MP CCD used in your G600 is packing more pixels into the same size area as the G500's 5MPCCD, the photosites for each pixel are smaller. Because of their smaller surface area, more amplification of the signal is needed for the same equivalent ISO sensitivity. This amplificaton increases noise levels.

Anyway, my theories about why autofocus reliability is impacted aside, I can offer some tips on getting more reliable focus, speeding up camera operation, customizing controller keys, etc. Go to my Konica KD-510z album at pbase.com,and see the24-Jan-2004 19:11 forum entry (you'll need to scroll down a ways in the forum below the photos to get to it):

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:16 PM   #3
a2b

thanks i allready got your stuff and programed my g600 to your instrutions you know the g600 was revewied here in the uk and got a good review exept the guy said the menue had to be enterd to much to alter everything if only he knew it could all be programed like you know how the camera could be the uk no one pocket compact i believe; shame readers think these models are menue only i followed and changeg it to your spec great now thanks for that , if you lerarn the g600 can be improved indoors please letus all know should i return it to minolta do you think many thanks taximan uk
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:39 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, inlow light indoors, you can toggle to a 2 Meter fixed focus, and your shots from 4.3 feet (1.31m) to 13.9 feet (4.24m) at wide angle (where you'll take most indoor photos at anyway) will be in acceptably sharp. This feature is pretty rare in a consumer model (fixed focus choices), and is MUCH easier to use than the typical manual focus options you sometimes find.

See this handy DOF calculator:

http://dfleming.ameranet.com/dofjs.html

Plug in the G600, 8mm (actual focal length of the lens at wide angle), 2 Meter focus point, F2.8 and calculate. This is what you'll have indoors using fixed focus, without even worrying about the Autofocus.

Use of fixed focus will also virtually elminate any shutter lag.

BTW, I think I just responded to your query on another forum, too (at least the complaints and questions werethe same -- the username was different). :-)

As far as returning your camera, that's up to you. It's possible you did get a "lemon".

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote