Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:15 PM   #1

Through my search for the camera that is right for me, I have noticed cameras that include the option of automatic exposure bracketing. It will take three pictures at three different levels, and then compare the washout and darkness levels and select the best one, based on your settings.

It seems to me that this is a very logical option to include in a digicam, due to the fact that it doesn't burn film, and could take a shot that was good, but just not exposed right, to great, one to be proud of. It's a fairly big minus in my book that it appears the Z3 doesn't have this (it would be implementable in firmware without much difficulty, even if it doesn't do the compare routine and just saves all 3 for later comparison it would be nice.) With the Z3's capability of 2.5 frames/s, it could be done in a little over a second, whereas without auto bracketing it it would take much longer to doit manually with the +- ev stops.....

What are other's opinions concerning this issue?
drlava is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:58 PM   #2

Quote:
It's a fairly big minus in my book that it appears the Z3 doesn't have this (it would be implementable in firmware without much difficulty, even if it doesn't do the compare routine and just saves all 3 for later comparison it would be nice.)*
I am completely shocked, surprised, and amazed that the Z3 doesn't have exposure bracketing--perhaps this feature is in fact included but simply didn't make the press release. The Z2 has three-shot bracketing with plus/minus 1, .5, .3 stop increments (according to Steves review) pretty much the same as many advanced KM digi-cams. It would seem illogical for KM to drop this very useful feature from the Z3.

I have an A1 and frequently use its exposure bracketing feature. ...very effective, very useful, a 'must-have' feature IMHO.

The Ax cameras also have bracketing for other 'effect' conrols such as contrast, color saturation, filters. These bracketing modes may also be useful; as I haven't spent any time experimenting with them, I can't really offer an informed opinion.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:56 PM   #3

You are right, the Z3 does in fact have bracketing. I did not see it listed on the minolta page and jumped to conclusions, when in fact dpreview (not a review, but a preview) does have it listed. phew!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04070703dimagez3.asp

can't wait for an actual review from steves digicams or some other site!!
drlava is offline   Reply With Quote