Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:48 AM   #11

All that site is saying is that a teleconvertor increases the minimum focus distance, (which is pretty obvious). So if you put an ACT-100 on an A2 the minimum focus is about 1 metre, but with the standard 200mm lens it's much closer (I forget exactly, but it's about a foot or less). You basically get a much bigger picture with the 200mm. So if you're taking close upswith a convertor on you're a bit misguided. They're for longer range shots where you can't get closer to your subject. Obviously you'd get a better picture of a Robin (for example) with a 200mm macro shot taken at about a foot than with the teleconverter on at about 3 feet, but the birdis unlikely to let you get that close. Also they give you a different angle of view and a smaller depth of field - for all those people who complain that the small sensormakes it impossible to blur the background.

Have a look in the add-on lens section. There are a few write ups on the TCON17 and I haven't seen anything negative. The extra 40mm will make virtually no difference, but the lower weight is an advantage. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Justgo for the TCON17 - I don't think you'll regret it.

Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:19 AM   #12

Thanks Technophile, i do appreciate that a teleconverter is not for close-ups and i very much appreciate your last line ;
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just go for the TCON17 - I don't think you'll regret it.
That just about clinches it for me.

Thanks again.:-)
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 9:24 AM   #13

I have the Minolta wide angle converter. The information sheet that comes with it also covers the tele converter.

In both cases the Minolta lenses are NOT zoom through. You must engage the macro switch, thereby eliminating any possibility of zooming. When you add the tele converter, you get ONLY the max focal length to work with.

So, if you want to be able to zoom with your tele attached, avoid the Minolta lens.

As for the other lenses, I have no idea how they work, but most will probably vignette as you zoom back towards the 28mm setting on the camera lens.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:22 AM   #14

Does it mean that the Macro switch has to be engaged to make the A2 use the teleconverter ? If so is that likely to have any problems with a non Minolta lens attachment ? It would seem not as the teleconverter is just a lump of glass stuck on the front, isn't it ? I wouldn't be bothered about zoom through anyway and would only want a teleconverter for it's obvious use, at full zoom.

I wonder if Steve has tried this set up or anybody else ? I have seen favourable opinions of the TCON-17 in a few places but nothing much about the A2 & TCON17.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:29 AM   #15

All the teleconvertorsvignette if you're not at themax focal for the standard lens. The Minolta does too. But you don't actually have to engage macro to use the Minolta lens - certainly not on the telephoto. It just gives it the option (for the AF)of moving the rear lens elements, which it wouldn't do otherwise. I've tried not setting macro (the first time because I forgot) and it focuses perfectly OK and the pictures also look OK.So that's not really a reason to avoid the Minolta lens.With a non-Minolta lens it's probably worth experimenting with macro off and macro on to seewhich is better, or if there's any difference.

BTW in the Minolta instructionsit says you should not use the zoom when the convertor is attached. The camerashould be set to 200m and the convertor attached. This to prevent damage to the lens. With a lighter convertor this would be less of a problem.

Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 9:19 PM   #16

Stevekin,
I use the TCON-17 on my D7i, same lens and same CCD size as the A1/A2 I presume.
I always use @ 200mm zoom, otherway , it vignettes of course. Sometimes I even put the TCON over my 49mm UV lens already on the Minolta lens, then it vignette a little, almost imperceptible.

About the article above, you have to know what it means really:
============
quote:
So, here is a conclusion: if you can get close, remove your teleconverter and use the on-camera lens. In this way, your subject will be larger on the image! See the table at the beginning of this page to determine the working distance.
============

Of course, if I can get close, I don't use the TCon, there are macro and closeup lens for that purpose. I use a teleconverter when the subject is far away (it's the real purpose of a tele, itsn't it?)

On my camera, macro switch must be off, otherway, the camera just can't focus, I think it's normal and logical.
The little thing that bother me in the conbination D7i + TCON-17 is the essemble is a bit flimsy. You don't have the solid feel of a SLR + a long zoom , I must be very careful when shooting in the crowd.
The TCON-17 is the successor of the Olympus B-300 (very famous but discontinued) and from what I know, both are the among best optical you can find, but how it compares to the Minolta, I don't know.
You can also search information though the combination D7, D7i and TCON-17 or B300 .

Hope that it helps
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 2:20 PM   #17

Thanks KCan, pretty logical explanation i can agree with. I think i will go with the TCON-17.

Although i would usually preferoriginal equipment,(battery, handgrip etc) am i right in thinking that an alternative Teleconverter should be fine as it doesn't actually do anything, so can't have a direct, adverse affect on the A2 ? And the TCON is half the price, half the weight, proven manufacturer and looks pretty good !!

I know the A2 comes from the same stable as the D7i etc, but has anyonetried the A2 & TCON-17 ?

Thanks to all for your advice.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 1:14 PM   #18

Stevekin,

I have the TCON-17 for my A-2 and am VERY pleased with the results, crisp and clear photos. The Olympus lens is top quality and very bright. Yes it vignettes unless you are at maximum focal range, but why would you want to zoom in with the lens on? Aren't you getting it to "reach out there"? Here is my assessment of the differences and why I chose the TCON-17 over the ACT-100 (in priority order).

Weight – the TCON is half the weight of the ACT on the lens barrel of the A-2

Focal Length – 340mm is better than 300

Price - the TCON is less, but that had very little impact on my decision

My other comments:

Quality – I haven't used the ACT-100 but have played with one on an A-2 at the store. I would say that both lenses are comparable in quality.

Vignetting – the TCON sometimes,but not always,seems to vignette ever so slightly,even with the A-2 set to 200mm. It's just a very slight darkening or shadowin the corners that's barely noticeable. Maybe I just let the lens' zoom slip back slightly when snapping the picture.

Macro mode – I see absolutely no difference with macro on or off, unless the vignetting mentioned above is happening with it one way or the other. I don't know – I am still experimenting.

Did I mention that the ACT-100 was very hewavy? I would worry about all that weight on the end of my A-2. Heck, I still worry about the weight of the TCON-17. I am thinking about building a lens crutch for it.

Iupgraded my firmware prior to getting the TCON-17 so I do not know if that makes a difference or not. I just know the TCON works well with my A-2.

~Jim

Gauche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 5:14 PM   #19

Thanks Gauche, it's reassuring to find someone already using the TCON-17 with the A2 and is happy with it.I have now ordered one from Amazon.co.uk for £64.95 incl vat & freedelivery. Less than half the cheapest price in the U.K for the ACT-100(£135.00), nearly half the weight and 1.7x against 1.5x. Everybody seems to be happy with this Teleconverter and i look forward to being happy with mine!!

Thanks to everyone for your advice

Stevekin
Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:02 AM   #20

This is more of a technical question, but concerning these teleconverters, do they affect the CCD anti-shake functionality? I would think that the AS computer calculates the compensation for the CCD based on camera shake AND the current focal length of the lens (less shake compensation for wide-angle, as each degree of rotation draws the image less across the CCD). Thus, adding different teleconverters without 'telling' the AS computer you have done so would throw off the calculations, and thus lessen the effectiveness of the AS.

Maybe someone has experienced this, or maybe it's not the case. any opinions??
drlava is offline   Reply With Quote