Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 5, 2004, 1:38 AM   #21

Olympus glass is always top quality (hell, they invented microscopes & the glass in them)! But...I would (& am) looking hard at the Minolta teleconverter, because it fits the camera perfectly & is the same Minolta glass as the GT lens...& that glass is great!
Old Aug 5, 2004, 4:34 AM   #22

Drlava, Good question. The proof of the pudding is in the eating!! I made my choice based on favourable opinions in general about the TCON and on the user experience of Gauche (see above). As Technophile pointed out, the camera will give slightly misleading info about focal length, as the TCON is 1.7x and the ACT-100 is 1.5x but there doesn't appear to be any focus issues. I did try a TCON-17, albeit briefly,in my local store that they had on order for someone else and the result was very acceptable! Unfortunately i haven't had the chance to compare with the ACT-100 and do not expect the TCON to be better, or perhaps not as good as a dedicated telecon but as Kalypso pointed out,
Quote:
Olympus glass is always top quality
and i think the performance will justify my choice considering price andweight benefits. I am just relieved i do not own an SLR, i'd be well buggered then!!!!!

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 1:30 AM   #23

Also check this link for an interesting comparison and alternative.

http://128.111.114.72/PhotoonSite/Im...RAYNOX2-2.html

Alan3005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:42 AM   #24

Thank you very much Alan3005, no arguing with that comparison !!

While i did fleetingly consider a Raynoxi decided against it,with it being more expensive and a little larger/heavier than the TCON-17. Seeing the comparison i can fully appreciate the power of the Raynox and it seems that many 'birders' use it and don't have a problem with vignetting as they obviously want the bird and don't necessarily need the whole frame. I am not a 'birder' and can see less vignetting with the TCON from the examples and as i said earlier cost,weight and size is an issue for me. I can live with slightly reduced power when everything else is considered.

Thanks again for the link, first one i've seen with direct comparisons, i'm sure it will be useful for others.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:19 AM   #25

To drlava:

I have found an explanation somewhere on Minolta site: A1 firmware 1.10 I got with ACT-100 contains new menu entry "Lens acc.", and it properly adapts Anti-Shake system and EXIF for tele/wide converter. Its multipliers are hardwired in firmware to original lens acc. values: 1.5x and 0.8x.
Stanislav Brabec is offline   Reply With Quote