Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 30, 2004, 2:32 PM   #1

Does anybody use the Minolta ACT-100 Teleconverter lens for the A1/A2 ?

Any good? Anybody get a good price in the U.K.? Cheapest i've seen is £159.00, as usual you Americans can get them much cheaper but Amazon.com won't ship to me!!:angry: Can't actually find one at Amazon.co.uk

Thanks.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 6:04 PM   #2

Try this site:

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photogr.../196221/prices

also:-

http://www.equipmentexpress.co.uk/sh..._2_etc__6.html

Cheers
Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 6:46 PM   #3

Thanks Kidson, a couple of sellers listed at Pricerunner are showing £149.00, better, but still not as good as the U.S. at $165.99,. That's about £90.75 !!!:sad:
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:34 PM   #4

Have you ever consider the Olympus TCON-17? (x 1.7, plus a 49 to 55 stepup ring)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 2:50 AM   #5

I am presuming the Tcon-17 is compatible as you wouldn't recommend it, but does it perform the same as the dedicated Minolta ACT-100 ? Will Anti Shake still work through the full zoom ? Does the larger diameter lens mean less vignetting ? Anything else you can tell me would be appreciated.

On the plus side already is the price! £64.95 inc. del & vat at Amazon.co.uk !

Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 3:04 AM   #6

I got my ACT-100 from fotosense for £135 including next day delivery - still a lot of money. I've seen them on ebay for less from Hong Kong I guess. Still nothing much can go wrong with a chunk of glass.

The other options for the A2 are the TCON-17or the Raynox DCR2020 (which is 2.2X), both of which work OK. I went for the Minolta item because I reckoned that the 8Mp sensor is fairly dependent on a good lens and the Minolta one is specially designed for the camera. The firmware upgrade allows the camera to be set for use with the converter. You set the lens on macro andthe AF moves the rear elements also. The quality isundiminished. It's a bit big and heavy though and you're only meant to use it at the 200mm end.

Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 3:33 AM   #7

The TCON-17 looks an attractive price but i forgot about the firmware update enabling the use of Minolta tele/wide converters. If you need the firmware upgrade (which i have) to use them, how about the TCON-17 ?? Or does the update just allow for use of Tele/wide converters ?

If i go for price will it work as well, if i go for the one that's meant to be used willi notice better performance ?

The question is: Considering the TCON-17 is roughly half the price of the Minolta ACT-100, will i be kicking myself if i choose one over the other ??

Thanks again.

Old Jul 31, 2004, 4:25 AM   #8

The firmware upgrade basically allows the camera to know that you've got the TC onso that it canset the focal length information correctly and also know that it needs to focus slightly differently (by moving the rear elements - that's why you enable macro). So that should all work fine with the TCON17 as well (except the focal length info will be a bit wrong, but who cares). Whether the results will be quite as good as the Minolta I don't know. I was using an Olympus TCON14 (which is 1.45X) which I bought for my previous digital camera and it worked OK. There was slight vignetting (because it needed a step-down ring from 46mm)and the image was a bit softer than standard but it was acceptable. The TCON17 is a bigger lens so therewill be no vignetting problems. My guess would be that the quality will not be quite as good as the Minolta but that's only a guess.Olympus converters have a very good reputation.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:05 AM   #9

Any more opinions of the OlympusTCON-17 or Minolta ACT-100 ? Please!

I am leaning more toward the TCON, admittedly because of the price, but will go with that unless anybody has any negative experiences with it. It will give me 340 mm & with the lens being a larger diameter won't cause vignetting. Of course i wouldn't expect any with the ACT-100 but would only get 300mm for twice the price!! And at 500g the ACT-100 weighs nearly as much as the camera !!!! (565g w/out bat & card) The TCON-17 weighs in at 260g.

I am looking to you lot out there to help prevent me from kicking myself !!

Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:26 AM   #10

I still want any responses to my last post, but now i am more confused! I stumbled upon this site http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...ocus-Dist.htmlwhich seems to be saying you don't actually get what you expect from a teleconverter:?HELP!!!