Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 2, 2004, 6:31 PM   #1

Help.
I did the A2 firmware update and everything seemed to go okay.
As instructed I turned off the camera when the 'update completed' message appeared.
When I tried to turn it back on it would not power up and I got the low-battery flashing icon.
I charged the battery and the camera still indicated 'low battery.
I went to the camera store and the battery tested as fuly charged.
What happened? How do I fix it?

thx.
smartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2004, 3:53 AM   #2

I did a firmware update for my A2 when I got the teleconverter and I followed the instructions to the letter. The first thing it said was to ALWAYS do this with a fully charged battery. I haven't got the instructions on me at the moment, but there was a slightly different procedure for XP. I'll check.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:34 AM   #3

A number of A2 owners have reported the same symptoms as you have after upgrading the firmware. I am presuming the actual upgrade was successful as your camera gave the correct message after doing so.

But a couple of things that may have caused the problem :

Did you download and install from the correct region, ie; Europe - 112e / USA - 112u etc ? I don't know where you are but i believe if you used the wrong regions firmware it can cause a problem.

When the upgrade was completed did you make sure to turn off the camera, and, most important, take out the compact flash card before switching the camera back on, subsequently deleting the upgrade file from the flash card ? This would need to be done on the computer because the first thing that the camera will do is read the firmware upgrade file and try to initiate the action again. Once deleted (on computer) the card can besafely formatted in camera.

I think it may mean returning the camera for repair.Hopefully one of the aforementioned owners who had the same problem will see this and advise you as to whathas tobe done.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:50 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies,
I followed all the instructions to the letter and updated using the KM website for North America. The battery was fully charged before the update. I am very computer literate (Mac)and have done dozens of software upgrades without any probs.
I am returning the camera to the dealer and not sure if I will get another A2 or switch to another camera.

Smartyboy
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:39 AM   #5

I don't doubt your knowledge but we all make mistakes sometimes, you didn't say whether or not you took out the cf card before switching the A2 back on, i know i conducted an almost military operation when i upgraded mine, i was that worried.

Seems a shame to change to an alternative camera considering your post "A2 First day report........Awesome!!!!!!" I hope you consider replacing it with another A2, i'm still getting to grips with mine and loving it !!
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:21 PM   #6

Stevekin,
I followed the instructions perfectly and have gone back over the process in my mind and I do not think it was something I did or didn't. I have also heard from other A2 users on other forums who have had the 'Battery Blinking' thing happen.
I was very happy with the camera, however,the reason I am rethinking it is I tried to contact Minolta Canada and they wouldn't even talk to me. Absolutely no consumer support.

R.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:39 PM   #7

Hey Smartyboy.

How did it all go with your camera? Got it fixed?

Just wanna let you all know that my brand-new Minolta got the exact same problem after the firmware update. Not nice. It went for repair.

And yes, I know that a firmware update can be critical, so I was also very careful and did everything as instructed...
raveoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:14 PM   #8

Wow that would be terrible!! I held my breath when I did the upgrade, but all went smoothly. I'm sure I would have blown a gasket if I had the problems you guys have.
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:39 PM   #9

I've done 3 today (don't ask...) and all were successful.

Alan
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote