Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 25, 2002, 9:37 PM   #1

Default Minolta 7Hi filters

Hi:
I just bought the Minolta 7Hi and my friend ordered it for me on the phone with his credit card. The camera was a good deal but the guy at the store advised him he should get the filter kit as well to protect the lenses blah blah blah The lenses are really good i guess because there $249 for the set. here is a cut and paste of the description of the kit. I'm ok with it if anyone has some feedback that these crystal lenses are going to make a big difference. here it is from the website......................

Everything we carry is brand new and factory fresh!

Price: $249.99

Crystal Optics 49mm 3pc. Multi Coated Pro Filter Kit with 15 year guarantee. 49mm 3 piece Filter Kit Includes: UV-Reduces blue haze caused by UV light by absorbing 71% of UV. Polarizer-eliminates glares from sunlight and deepens picture color. Flourescent-Provide pleasing skintones and corrects color under fluorescent lighting.
Any feedback will be of much apprciation. Thanks Chris Carr Salem Mass
jcarboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:48 PM   #2

I am not pro, but my feeling is this kit is expensive and not that useful as a whole.

1)UV-Reduces blue haze caused by UV light by absorbing 71% of UV
>> Absolutely necessary , to protect your front lens mainly, you can get an excellent at around 10 15 box , 4mm thick still ok, no vigneting

2)Polarizer-eliminates glares from sunlight and deepens picture color
>> Very recommended for water surface , sunny, beach shots ...etc (I think so) , but you can get one at ~~ 50 box. Choose the thinnest since it's thicker than one element filter and may cause vigneting ( try one at store )

3) Flourescent-Provide pleasing skintones and corrects color under fluorescent lighting.
>> I guess this one is not necessary at all ( I may be wrong) , if you choose the correct white balance ( either manual or custom) , color should come out correctly , plus, you can post-process with software in case.

4) 15 year guarantee
>> against what? decoloration ? I think this is a joke ??

I think that this kit is too expensive, you can get other more useful accessories with 250$ ( US$ ?) : flash, tripod, case , batteries/chargers, CF cards ...

Like to hear other's opinion too...

--------------------

PS:
" Everything we carry is brand new and factory fresh! "

... best before ...?

[Edited on 9-26-2002 by KCan]

[Edited on 9-26-2002 by KCan]
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 5:37 AM   #3
NHL

I agree with KCan, they've made a healthy profit on a generic no-name filter kit by offering you a come-on price for the camera. A standard practice for most mailorder shops... (ie if you've declined the kit they won't sell you the camera)

BTW the only polarizer that'll work without vignetting on any version of the D7 is the thinline B&W !!!

[Edited on 9-26-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 9:18 AM   #4

also watch out at the widest angles there is probable going to a little vignetting in the corners. this lens needs thin (under 4mm ring thickness) filters or at least 58-62mm with a reducer.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 8:58 PM   #5

I Iagree you can buy better filters online for lots less. http://www.2filter.com
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote