Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 27, 2002, 3:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by sjms

what it does not have for a metering view is a synthetic match needle type of display. which is what i believe the original question was referring to by the picture at the bottom.

[Edited on 9-27-2002 by sjms]
and this is very critical for any photographer when using it in manual mode. No matter how good the EVF is, it can not subtitute for the assistance of the light meter (in any form or display), not just for the correct exposure but for the analysis of the light and help you to make good decision. I know I can't. Thank you for the verification...

[Edited on 9-27-2002 by [email protected]]
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 4:11 PM   #12
NHL

The flex pointer also affects the metering BTW, I don't think it a spotmeter, but some how it affect the weighting of the exposure metering as well. ie try to move the AF crosshair from a dark to a bright area and see how the shutter/aperture changes!

The bottom line is this no film camera, and one must "unlearn" the usual stuff... In a film camera correct exposure is essential, since what one sees in the optical viewfinder is not really what is captured on film, hence the analog scale, for the photographer to adjust the EV one way or another. The D7 on the other hand captures exactly what the CCD 'sees', ie electrically altered by the shutter speed and the aperture (colorkey and displayed in the EVF) in the manual mode. The camera then offers the WYSIWYG image to the photographer and further augmented it with a live histogram. In fact this camera is the easiest to shoot in manual so far... and I have use quite a few, heck I don't even need my Gossen spotfinder for night scenes!

BTW very nice shots of thoses lanterns KCan, how about thoses moncakes:P:P:P:? (Have you tried to adjust the color wheel with the WYSIWYG on night scene...?Awsome)

[Edited on 9-27-2002 by NHL]

[email protected]

You should try this camera out on manual... You'll be amazed by what it can do! (I use my Gossen once, but only for setting the aperture on a studio shoot for the AC strobes but that was it)

[Edited on 9-27-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 4:33 PM   #13

no. i guess i didn't make myself clear . i apologize. when the spot meter button is hit a circle appears in the center of the viewfinder. so if you move the item you want to spot it will meter with the hit and hold the spot and the focus/shutter release((1st detent on the focus) it will hold and set to release. then just push the shutter release and fire.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 6:12 PM   #14
NHL

sjms

I understand the spot circle.

I just want to verify if users observed the same thing as me regarding the flexpointer. ie not only it's used for AF, but seems to measure exposure as well no matter where that crosshair is moved over the entire EVF screen!
Old Sep 27, 2002, 6:57 PM   #15

NHL,
About color, I have a tendency to boost color saturation and red ( Nikon color veteran? ) , so unless I forget, I use vivid color setting on ( sometimes color +1) .
( mooncakes ? gosh I am full after 2 boxes now )

Also, what I conclude for myself is: in low light , I can't rely on metering ( unless I use a tripod) bc anyway, the speed is too slow for a monopod. I concentrate to have a good focus and content of the fastest speed I can accept to have an acceptable scene ( I try to keep ISO100).
There is also a common sense judgment factor , for example , the frog and the lotus lanterns are actually drifting slowly on the water, using a correct metered parameters will give a movement blur anyway.

BTW, once again, I can see how good is the AF in low light. I did not use spot AF in that series I think ( lazy to switch) , sometimes it locks on the wrong detail, but if you know you how your cam works, you can't blame it, I do not read anymore posting on OOF stuff on the other forums .
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 7:37 PM   #16
NHL

Too lazy hey?... All one has to do is hold in the center directional pad to switch to flexpoint focus... Must be the 2 boxes of mooncakes then
Old Oct 1, 2002, 9:50 AM   #17

Okay, let me know where can you get this camera at best price and service...cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 9:52 AM   #18

now that all depends on how you value the warrenty.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote