Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 10, 2004, 2:13 PM   #11

Clive, thanks.

I like the last image the most, the second one is a bit too vivid for me. I'm not sure I'd notice the difference if I didn't have the chance to view the images one after the other. :-)
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 5:13 PM   #12

The last one I like the best...
vilcans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 12:38 PM   #13

Clive, I don't think (Mrs) Bruin will like what you did toher nice blue carpet in your corrected images - it looks like you added 10 years' traffic and dirt to it. Maybe the muttIS just a bit dull ;-) and the camera wasn't lying. I think a photo of a standard reference card under ideal lighting would be better for judging the camera.
Eagleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:33 PM   #14

Mrs Eagleye:

1. I am not a 'Mrs.'

2.That carpet with '10 years traffic' is onmy boat, not my house.

3.My dog is not a 'mutt' and is not dull.

4.Sound a little envious to me. Get a life.

bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 12:50 PM   #15

Eagleye,

How do you know that the carpet is blue?

What colour is the sofa of which this is a close up? (scroll down for the answer)
Attached Images

Clive Egginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 1:00 PM   #16

I'm not really interested whether or not a camera can reproduce faithfully the colours on a colour chart taken under ideal lighting conditions - I assume that it can (where else would it be tested?). There is a shot of the MacBeth Color Chart out on the web, it's not too bad actually.

I am far more interested in how the camera performs in the real world where conditions are far from ideal (and if they were then the shot would probably be about as interesting as a colour chart).

Have a look at this photo (apologies to microsaft_com) http://www.microsaft.com/z3/PICT0719.JPG

It looks as though it was taken at sunset but the exif data tells us that it was around midday.

I've tweaked the left side of the picture in PhotoShop Elements. I don't know want colour grass is in your part of the world but I know which side of the picture looks more natural to me.
Attached Images

Old Aug 13, 2004, 1:13 PM   #17

Ok here's the full sofa (apologies to german_guy).

It's ok being able to tweak images when you know what the result should look like but how would you know where to start on the close-up shot above?

I think that the problem lies in the automatic white balance. Obviously any camera will struggle where there is a predominance of one colour (lots of green trees and grass) but it strikes me that the Z-series fails more than most.

If you are aZ3 owner reading this pleasecould you post some comparison shots taken using both the auto and daylight white-balance settings?

Cheers

Clive

Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:14 AM   #18

"I don't know want colour grass is in your part of the world but I know which side of the picture looks more natural to me."

Clive, the dusty grass, muddy river and tanned people on the right look like they do here :-). Attached is a photo showing a bit of my lawn.

Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:16 AM   #19

Oops! I saturated the green a bit too much, here is a better version:
Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:46 AM   #20

Clive Egginton wrote:
Quote:
Ok here's the full sofa (apologies to german_guy).

It's ok being able to tweak images when you know what the result should look like but how would you know where to start on the close-up shot above?

I think that the problem lies in the automatic white balance. Obviously any camera will struggle where there is a predominance of one colour (lots of green trees and grass) but it strikes me that the Z-series fails more than most.

If you are aZ3 owner reading this pleasecould you post some comparison shots taken using both the auto and daylight white-balance settings?

Cheers

Clive

Unfortunatly, my fears regarding Z3 came true - too much yellow cast, sandy colours... just like z2. Sorry, Minolta, go make your homework!
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote