Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 9, 2004, 6:49 PM   #1

First shot out of the box. No special features added
Attached Images

bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:15 AM   #2

This does not say a single thing about the image quality because the picture is not the original size.
fusion_400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:29 AM   #3

Never said it did. Was not saying it was good or not good. Just posting my first shot--sheeesh
Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:35 AM   #4

bruin wrote:
Quote:
Never said it did. Was not saying it was good or not good. Just posting my first shot--sheeesh

is your dog sponsored by crest white-strips?
trueno92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:53 AM   #5

First let me say that I have no desire to rain on your parade and that's alovely looking pooch.

This is one of the few Zseries photos I've seen withno apparent yellow colour cast (not surprising considering the overall colour content of the picture!).

BUT

Have KM stuck a protective film of plastic over the front of the lens that you've not yet peeled off? The image is, in my opinion, flat and leaves me looking elsewhere for an ultra-zoom with AS. A quick tweak in PSP8 produces a much more acceptable result but we shouldn't have to put up with that.

Each load, tweak and re-save (esp as a JPEG) degrades the image and takes time.We can't just go to a photo kiosk with the raw files and get the picture quality we should.

I would like to know how you get on with hte camera over the next few days, perhaps you could let us know and post up some more images somewhere.

Cheers, Clive.

Clive Egginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:54 AM   #6

He haswhiter teeth than I do--and I thought I had nice teeth!:-)
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:00 AM   #7

Clive--will do!
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:04 AM   #8

Clive, could you post the modified picture? I guess we all would like to see what you are talking about.
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:52 AM   #9

Ok James, here are two versions of Boo.

The first is just a couple of clicks in PaintShop Pro 8 (so long as you have the Photo toolbarswitched on)-Enhance Photo > One Step Photo Fix..

Personally, I find that this picture has just a little too much punch,in the same way that many tv advertshave unnaturally bright colours. It would be interesting tocompare this withan image ferom theZ3 set to 'Vivid'.
Attached Images

Old Aug 10, 2004, 12:07 PM   #10

and here's the second.

This one has been briefly (it took only about a minute in total) tweaked using iCorrect's Edit Lab. There has been no sharpening as with PSP and I reset the boost in saturation that it made.

I'm not saying that I would stop tweaking at this point if I wanted to print out hte picture, all I'm saying is that, to me,the picture out of the camera looked somwhat flat and that KM could have done a better job with the built in software. My main gripe with the Zseries - the yellow colour cast - doesn't even show in this picture.

I've tried tweaking some of Steve's Z2 samples and have failed to get them looking right (compare the reddish gravel in the Bon Appetit/Marina Bar photo and the colours of the playground equipment shot from several cameras).

I'm still waiting to be convinced about this camera - maybe the price will do it.

Cheers,

Clive
Attached Images