Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:13 PM   #1

I have problem with gettingclear images. If I make 10 shots then 4 of themwill be blur. I also tried manual focus and found it very inconvinient - it is really hard to define if picture is clear or still blur. Even more problem with low light or at night. But no problem with short distance up to 1.5 m. Couldsomebody tell me what I do wrong? Thank you!
trigrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:46 PM   #2

Try using a tripod, 99% of the time that will solve blurred images.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:53 PM   #3
Administrator

Well, it could be any number of things. We'd need to see some photos to tell for sure.

My guess is that's it's motion blur versus focus. Motion Blur is a common problem many new users run into.

In many lighting conditions, you'll have too much blur from camera shake (especially if you are not using the flash). What's bright to the human eye, is not to the camera's lens.

Just to prevent motion blur from camera shake, it's a good idea to have shutter speeds of 1/focal length or faster. For example, if shooting near the wide end of your zoom, at around 40mm focal length, you'd want a shutter speed of 1/40 second or faster. AT 100mm focal length, you'd want a shutter speed of 1/100 second or faster, etc. So, in many lighting conditions, you must use flash (and must be within the flash range). Another way to increase shutter speeds is to increase the ISO speed setting in the camera (which will add noise to a photo, which is similar to film grain).

Do you have a way to post any unmodified photos that are straight from the camera somewhere? If so, then we can see the camera settings used (it's embedded into the image files, and readable by many image editors). If you don't have a place to post them, you can open a free trial account at http://www.pbase.com and post them there.

Then, we can see what you are talking about, and should be able to tell if the problem is focus or motion blur.

Added: Ididn't see Kalypso's response beforeI posted. He isright (andmade the same assumption I did). He also gave you the best solution for this problem. Using atripod will keep the camera steady and let you take photos at slower shutter speeds.If you have a moving subject, then you'll needto do something different to stop blur from that (like using the flash or increasing ISO speed). Post a sample or two of what you are talking about, and we'll be able to tell what the problem is (it's mostlikely motion blur from camera shake).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 1:13 AM   #4

Thank for thequickrespond. As for auto-focusing, I agreed that it could be motion blur and lack of lighting but my concern is mostly the handle of manual focusing with using of tripod at low light scene. When I use manual focusing I can't crearly see if there object is in focus or not. Manual focus feature is digitaly magnifiing the part of the scene and doing it very poor, so I can't use that feature for sure. Is there any way to use auto focus with flash or withoutat night to lock focus and then make a shot without flash but with long exposure?

Here are couple attachment (I've resized it to make smaller but without significant lowerof quality) I used 'M' mode with 4 sec exposure, 3"2A and manual focus. One shot with flash, another without. ISO - 50 (but I'm not sure, don't remember)
Attached Images

Old Aug 10, 2004, 1:15 AM   #5

second shot
Attached Images

Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:06 AM   #6
Administrator

I am unable to see the camera settings used. When you edit a photo with many image editors, the EXIF header from the file is stripped out. This is why I suggested posting an unmodified image on a web site.

I think that the forum software here may strip out this information, too.

In any event, I don't own the Z2; but based on reviews I've seen, your best bet is probably to use the distance indication to estimate focus distance in lower light. I'd also make sure to keep the camera set to ISO 50 for longer exposures.

It's also a good idea to use the self timer when taking night photos. Otherwise, you'll likely get blur from camera shake when pressing the shutter button. A night photo will generally look much softer anyway. The noise reduction also contributes to this (these systems aredesigned to mask out hot pixels). With a small sensor, you will get lots of them without this type of noise reduction (which is automatically engaged on most newer camera models for long exposures). My Konica KD-510z engages it on exposures of 1/2 second or longer.

You will not be able to get photos of a person in these types of conditions without a flash. They would be unable to stay motionless to prevent blur.

You will generally not be able to get an evenly exposed image in many conditions, too.Your second image is underexposed. This can also degrade photo quality, since noise is worse in underexposed areas of a photo.

So, you will need to make a choice of which areas you want properly exposed. If you expose a night scene for a longer period of time, you usually get a lot of overexposed areas around lights, in order to get better exposed shadow areas. A digital camera's sensor has a limited dynamic range, so it's difficult to shoot a scene with a mixture of brighter and darker areas.

You'll need to experiment to see what works best for the scene you are shooting.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:00 PM   #7

I have had very few AF issues with my Z2..... I also believe camera shake is whats hurting you.... In low light where i'll need a slow shutter I always use a tripod, or something the rest the camera on. here's a pic or two....

http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/P...3/PICT0060.JPG

http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/P...l/PICT0018.JPG

http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/Pics/RSX/RSX0012.JPG

http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/Pics/RSX/RSX0007.JPG

These two relly show the difference in focus using the AF's spot metering...

http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/P...X-Mazda3/4.JPG

http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/P...X-Mazda3/5.JPG

AudioAltima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:29 AM   #8

Thank you for information! I've read couple more topics and found you very active person on this forum.I appreciate it!

I will experiment Maybe I need to buy lantern to lock the focus with it and make a shot then at night without using that bloody manual focus