Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 17, 2004, 5:53 AM   #1

While i understand what i will get with the different image size options theA2,eg;

3264 x 2448 = 7,990,272

3264 x 2176 (3:2) = 7,102,464

2560 x 1920 = 4,915,200 etc,

Do any of you have an opinion/preference to jpegquality setting ? Extra Fine or Fine ? Apart from number of images available per card is there a noticeable difference. I usually print 6 x 4 with the occasional A4 with not too drastic cropping.

Thanks,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:09 PM   #2

Hi there,

for "general" photography (e.g. family, holidays, partys) I use JPEG fine; whenever a really promising motive pops up, I switch to raw.

Ciao, Wolfie

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:45 PM   #3

Thanks Wolfie, so do you feel there is no distinguishable difference between Extra fine and fine? I notice that the default setting is Fine quality so perhaps KM feel, like you, that this is fine for general use.

Thanks again

Stevekin.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:59 AM   #4

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Wolfie, so do you feel there is no distinguishable difference between Extra fine and fine? I notice that the default setting is Fine quality so perhaps KM feel, like you, that this is fine for general use.

Thanks again

Stevekin.
I would expect Fine to be good enough for general, family type images. I think Extra Fine & RAW are the ones you want to reserve for those images you will want to be the best (& RAW should be used if you aren't sure).
Old Aug 19, 2004, 4:02 AM   #5

Thanks to both Wolfie & Kalypso for your advice.

Stevekin.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 3:18 PM   #6

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Wolfie, so do you feel there is no distinguishable difference between Extra fine and fine

Hi Stevekin,

you are welcomed. Yes, up to 10x15(metric) I fail to notice any difference - though my eyes are actually quite good, still. As this is the format most of my "run of the mill" photographs are printet, "Fine" imho is for general purposes good enough. As most of the printshops are printing in 3:2, I mostly use this feature of the A2, too.

Ciao, Wolfie

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 4:02 PM   #7

I tend to shoot in 3:2 format also Wolfie as i print 6"x4" (15cmx10cm) pretty much always, and with 7.1 mega pixels i don't think i'm losing too much !!

Regards,

Stevekin.