Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 17, 2004, 5:15 PM   #1

My son has had a Minolta Z1 for about 9 months. A few days ago it developed a fault. When the finder switch was moved from the rear screen position to the eye level finder position, the rear screen would momentarily go blank, then viewing would return to the rear screen. In no way would the camera switch to the eye level finder. We reported the fault to the dealer and warned him that we needed the camera for a couple of days, as it was still taking pictures, then it would come in for return to Minolta. HOWEVER, in the meantime I discovered that simply half pressing the shutter release, then switching to eye level finder, the switch then worked, and has continued working as it is meant to work, for the last couple of days. It must have got itself confused somehow, but is now once again working ok.
Apologies if this has been posted before, but posted now to help anybody with a similar problem.

cheers

ken from the UK
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2004, 8:43 PM   #2

very lucky! i have no idea how 'focusing' the camera (by half pressing the shutter-release) could have triggered the camera into flipping the 'switch-finder' all the way into evf mode, but i suppose from doing it a few times, it must have worked itself free just enough to continue normal operation.

I have read that some users would tap their camera into the soft spot of their palm and see if it would also free it up. (physical jarring of the camera)

interesting after so many months of trouble free use, it would suddenly get stuck.

where is your z1 made? (on bottom of camera)
trueno92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 2:56 AM   #3

It was made in Korea

ken from the UK
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 4:24 PM   #4

I'm having the same problem with my z1 not going into viewfinder mode. I emailed KM and they replied that I would have to send the camera to the factory, but I'd rather not do that. If anyone has a better suggestion I would appreciate hearing it.
catch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 7:47 PM   #5

I am not responsible for what happens to ur z1, but

does the servo or actuator inside seem to be stuck? or is there absolutly no noise made when u try and change modes?

what u can try is holding the camerasecurely and firmly bumping it into the palm of your other hand.

the impact should free whatever is holding it.

where is your z1 made?

thanks

a.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 8:35 AM   #6

my z1 was made in korea. is that significant? when i switch to viewfinder mode, it doesn't make any noise at all. i tried jolting it to free it up as you suggested, but it didn't work. thank you for the suggestion, though. i also tried what ken from the uk did with the shutter release button.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:56 PM   #7

catch22 wrote:
Quote:
my z1 was made in korea. is that significant? when i switch to viewfinder mode, it doesn't make any noise at all. i tried jolting it to free it up as you suggested, but it didn't work. thank you for the suggestion, though. i also tried what ken from the uk did with the shutter release button.

To be honest, there is no real significant difference between the ones made in korea and the ones made in japan, to the best of my knowledge. I am trying to make an informal list of z1's with issues and i haven't collected enough data to really draw a conclusion.... i know the japanese ones have had their share of bad z1's but it seems that recently the korean ones are exploiting more problems as of late.

In your case, if physical jarring doesn't seem to do anything and you are not hearing any kind of servo/actuator click from inside the unit, i suppose the problem isn't any sort of mechanical issue.... and if thats the case, then the problem is electronic.....

sorry we couldnt' be of more help.

a
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:26 PM   #8

:sad:I'm having the same problem with my Z1. The viewfinder switch doesn't work. After 10 months from purchase, it stopped working. No noise at all. I returned it and asked that they fix that sepcific problem. It came back and worked fine; for about three weeks (a couple hundred photos). Then, same problem. I called and they said I need to return it again. Your posting and at least one other that I've quickly found so far tells me that there is a design flaw in our camera. I wonder how many times I'll have to pay shipping costs and lose use of this camera before I tell them I want my money refunded completely. Minolta should have named it the L1 for Lemon#1.
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:36 PM   #9

i exchanged my z1 for a fuji s5000 and it's a good alternative.