Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 17, 2004, 7:35 PM   #1

Hi All, having some MAJOR problems with my new Z3, wanted to describe what was happening on the off chance someone else has experienced similiar things and has a solution. Camera store wants me to call Minolta in the morning, see if they can help, otherwise they will replace the unit.

Here's the symptoms (the camera worked fine from Friday when I picked it up until yesterday evening):

1) inability to focus on anything. The camera won't focus on anything, in any mode, no matter what I do
2) unusual startup. When I turn it on, the LCD display starts right away, but I'm unable to use ANY feature on the camera for 30-45 seconds. Zoom doesn't work, switching modes does nothing, macro button/flash button does nothing, etc. The LCD screen is very dim; after a LONG pause, the screen suddenly seems to "wake up" at which time I can now push any of the buttons, zoom, etc. but still no working auto-focus.
3) shutting down camera. Sometimes the red light on the back (memory card read/write access light i think) stays lit for 15-30 seconds AFTER the camera has shut off. One time the only way i could shut it off was to take the batteries out.
4) unable to sync with pc. Since I first got the camera, I've been unable to get it to install properly on the computer. It does the usual detection, but always hangs on installing the "disk drive", the only way to get out of this is to turn the camera off. Once you do this, it errors out. After that point, you can plug camera in and turn it on, but the drive letter will never come up in My Computer, and in fact My Computer is basically hung until you turn the camera off.

I've tried 3 different sets of batteries, the original alkalines that came with it, a set of power2000 2400s, and a set of duracell procell, none of which makes any difference in any of the behaviours described above. In fact, I thought the power2000 2400s might be defective, as the first time i put them in the camera they didn't even start it up, and the 2nd time after 2-day charge, they seemed to work fine last nite, but by this morning they wouldn't even start the camera again.

I've also done a reset defaults on the camera on the off chance i'd somehow screwed up a setting, but to be honest the camera was taking such great pictures out of the box that i never even got a chance to play with any settings yet!

Any thoughts from other users out there would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading my long-winded post,

Dave
dmillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2004, 8:30 PM   #2

This may be way off the mark but have you tried starting it without the memory card? I know from experience that a memory card problem can cause odd behavior in a camera, although in this case it seems unlikely. Try it anyway if you haven't already.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 8:46 PM   #3

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, tried popping the card and booting, no difference in symptoms.

Dave
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:15 AM   #4

My z3 has none of those symptoms...

I would assume you have a defective one and hopefully

you can exchange it where you purchased it...

Brian
bpkbpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:33 PM   #5

Update: Exchanged camera this afternoon without problems at store where originally purchased. Everything is now working fine, with the exception of not being able to sync up the camera with my home pc. Works fine elsewhere, just not with the home machine. When i plug it in, the camera displays the "intializing usb connection", which goes away after a few seconds and leaves the connected indicator in the top left-hand corner. However, when i try to access my computer, or even run the removable media icon in the system tray to list installed devices, it all hangs, and the only way to stop it from being frozen is to shut off the camera. My Computer will then immediately open up, sometimes with a drive with next available letter and a red ?, most times with nothing in the display. Same with the list of installed removable devices, nothing will be listed.

I've tried everything I can think of, anyone have any new suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Dave
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:33 PM   #6

Have you tried a card reader? If it won't read that then it it probably a computer problem.

Good Luck!

Trique Daddi.
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:20 AM   #7

I got the Z3 working on two separate computers running XP (one home ver, one pro)... Do you have XP or Win2k?

bpkbpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:29 PM   #8

Hi,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I receive my new Z3 yesterday, and i've got a similare issue than Dmiller. I talk about the first issue: the camera freeze, often with the red lamp on.... I don't have problem with the link to computer.

you can see the detail here http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9934380

KM French support said to wait 48h or 72h without batteries & card, and restart with baterries full charged and no card to reinitiate properly the camera.

I'm not confident with this procedure and i think it will be more efficient to initiate an exchange of camera with KM. The problem is that in france, Z3 are delivered very slowly, it's out of stock in most of store, and i'm not sure that they will be able to exchange it before some weeks !

What do you think about the efficiency of waiting two or three days to discharge completly the internal memory ?

Bye,

Philippe
capillonpub is offline   Reply With Quote