Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 17, 2004, 7:54 PM   #1

Hi, Im new. I just got my A2 a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it. This is my first "real" camera and I have a lot to learn, so Im very happy I found these forums.

Here's my concern. Last weekend while I was taking some shots in a very bright environment, I noticed vertical lines streaking across the EVF and the LCD. Kind of purplish in color. They would streak from the top to the bottom of whatever I was looking at. Mainly appearing in areas of the brightest light. But nothing came out in the pictures though... Earlier in the day, I was taking pictures "out in nature" in a sort of dusty environment, so I'm worried that I may have gotten some dust in there. Does any of this ring a bell with anyone? Thanks!
GLaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:54 AM   #2

It happens with all digital cameras if the camera it pointing towards the light source ie the sun. There is nothing you can do about it other than using a lens hood, if your camera will take one. You have not damaged the camera, it is just doing what it does, so don't worry about it. It is not a fault in the camera.
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 6:28 AM   #3
NHL

The streaking is caused by the Automatic Gain Control in the EVF to maintain the same relative brightness in the EVF for their users: If you switch the camera to manual where the EVF would track what the CCD really captures for the resulting picture you would not "see" this streaking either... but then you'll have to adjust the aperture/shutter manually to adjust for the incoming light!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 3:16 PM   #4

Fantastic! Thanksfor the replies! I wasn't using my lens hood at the time, and when I was packing it up that day I thought to myself, darn, I should have been using my lens hood. :lol:
GLaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 5:29 PM   #5

Ah but I have a Z3 where this happens and the streaks DO appear on recorded video clips.

\Clive
Clive Egginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:20 PM   #6

the streaks appear on videos recorded with my z3 aswell, i dont think itsproblem though, could someone verify this? they appear on light sources.
ukurbanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:17 AM   #7

NHL wrote:
Quote:
The streaking is caused by the Automatic Gain Control in the EVF to maintain the same relative brightness in the EVF for their users: If you switch the camera to manual where the EVF would track what the CCD really captures for the resulting picture you would not "see" this streaking either... but then you'll have to adjust the aperture/shutter manually to adjust for the incoming light!
No, that doesn't explain why the streaks appear also in video files. The real answer is the electronic shutter.It's not 100 % lightproof and strong light sources can "leak through", resulting in vertical stripes while data is being shifted, row by row, out of the CCD during the read-out cycle.

These lines might appear in all modes where the mechanical shutter is not used: live pre-view, video recording and UHS mode. Normal photosare not affected because the camera closes the mechanical shutter immediately after the exposure and it will remain closed until the read-out phase is over.

BTW, this is not an A2 specific problem. Other cameras, including other brands than KM, seem the have the same "feature". I guess it also goes a long way explainig why almost all camerasneed a mechanical shutter in addition to electronic shutter function.

MarkoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 4:27 PM   #8

(Newbie here, but technical, generally)

Is there really a mechanical shutter on the A2? In all modes? I don't hear it when I silence the R2D2 noises and sampled shutter clicks.

BTW, on my A2, the streak is a full-height 1/7 width wipeout in both LCD and EVF, far, far worse than any flare seen on the recorded photo. I've always guessed it's a row/column leakage thing in the construction of the displays or their drivers. Perhaps it's an overload in the "continuous" mode of the sensor itself, since the CCD buckets are not being "zeroed just before exposure time?"

I'd still vote for row-column leakage and overload. Isn't speculation fun?
fhaber is offline   Reply With Quote