Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:11 AM   #1

Hi all,

My first post here. I have an Olympus C4000Z, which I use to take the photos for my little site at http://www.wildlifewebcam.co.uk

I am feeling increasingly limited by the lack of top end zoom (notice there are no photos of birds on there!) The Z3 looks like a very good replacement to me, but with the fantastic zoom, even closer super macro capabilities and Anti-Shake at such a low price, I'm thinking it is too good to be true (which usually means it is!)

Would anyone mind taking a look at my shots, and advising me as the whether a Z3 would produce similar results. I'm seeing some very mixed opinions about noise and colour casts, and I really can't make out the wood for the trees.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Gareth Evans
goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:28 AM   #2

Hi,

At first, NICE SHOTs i specialy love the [Talisker house].

I have the Z3 about 2 weeks, and i have made some nice macro too.

I think it will serve you, and it will be in good hands.

But dont try to make shots on very low light and dont use the ISO200 or ISO400.

Zoltan
zoli223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:42 AM   #3

Gareth- nice shots. I can't speak directly on the Z3 yet as I am waiting for mine to arrive but I did have a Z2. I was happy enough with it that when it was stolen, I bought almost the same model but with the improvement of the stabilized lens.

I too wanted a pretty big zoom for long range shots. For me the Z2 did great and now with the longer zoom and IS the Z3 should be even better. I was quite happy with the picture quality of the Z2 and the macro and super macro mode was some of the best I've seen.

As for Zoltan's comments about not shooting at ISO 200-400, don't worry about it to much. Get a program like NeatImage or Noise Ninja. Theyare programsto help eliminate noise from your digicams. Thanks to another member's tip on Steve's Forums I learned about these programs and now I am an avid user of both of them.

Now I can concentrate on getting the shot at the right exposure and not worry about noise introduced by the CCD in low light.If the noise is too visible I just run it through NeatImage and voila, looks like it came from an DSLR instead of my Z2!

Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 9:57 PM   #4

zoli223 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

At first, NICE SHOTs i specialy love the [Talisker house].

I have the Z3 about 2 weeks, and i have made some nice macro too.

I think it will serve you, and it will be in good hands.

But dont try to make shots on very low light and dont use the ISO200 or ISO400.

Zoltan
I see you've taken my ISO comments to heart... Anyways, I have yet to try the 2 programs mentionned to reduce noise ....

Also, as for your night shots comment, I disagree.... with a good photographer, and a tripod, nearly anything can be accomplished... I have some examples (and I'm not a good photographer....) ....

This one was shot quickly, and I didnt have many tries at it, as we had security after us, cause we entered a restricted are to take the picture, so it came out a little under exposed... had I had a chance to make adjustments, it could have came out really well.

http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/Pics/RSX/RSX0012.JPG

These were taken on Montreals F1 track (Citcuit Gilles Villeneuve) .... it was around 11pm, and really dark out....

http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/Pics/RSX/RSX0005.JPG

http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/Pics/RSX/RSX0007.JPG

Last one here, well it wasnt too dark, but the sun had just gone down....

http://joltedmedia.com/AudioAltima/P...1/PICT0141.JPG

Anyways, my final thoughts, for a simple point and shoot camera, it's a great buy. I'm not a very good photographer compared to alot of people on here, but until I get a little more experience, this camera can do it all. (I have the Z2 by the way). Apart from a couple small differences, the Z3 is the same camera. In the hands of an experienced photographer, the Z3 should be a great camera!
AudioAltima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:37 AM   #5

Z3 is Amazing and so FZ20

but for bird and such things I prefer Panasonic

Why ?

F2.8 though the zoom range

Lieca Lens

fast shutter speed better than Z3 1/1000 second MAX shutter

5 mega pixels

-------------

check it out ! one of the offical FZ-20 samples for a bird Full sized and compare with Z3

Net Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 4:17 AM   #6

Hi,

AudioAltima i realy like the first one [RSX0012.JPG] it is like a pic from NFS Underground only i missing the green neon

yes noiseware or neat image is dooing good his job.

I think too this camera in good hands can make more then nice photos.

I can only recomend it.

Zoltan
zoli223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 4:51 AM   #7

Thanks for the comments guys! I hadn't really considered the Panasonic models. The FZ10 only focusses to 5cm, and I want to focus closer than that. FZ20 looks beautiful, is it released yet?

I guess I'm trying to do the impossible, in finding every feature I want on a fixed lens camera. I'm also considering a Nikon 5700 and the Fuji S7000 and S2 pro. None of these has as powerful a zoom as the Z3

It's going to bea long hard choice!
goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:02 AM   #8

zoli223 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

AudioAltima i realy like the first one [RSX0012.JPG] it is like a pic from NFS Underground only i missing the green neon

yes noiseware or neat image is dooing good his job.

I think too this camera in good hands can make more then nice photos.

I can only recomend it.

Zoltan
thing is, no editing was done to those phots at all. I did not use any program to clean up anything yet.
AudioAltima is offline   Reply With Quote