Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 23, 2004, 3:34 AM   #1

Hi!

Can't find any Z3 movie samples!!!

Can anybody help me.

Thx!
ringo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2004, 1:57 PM   #2

I will try and take a few tonight if I get the chance the weather is not still rainy.

Tim
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:54 AM   #3

Ok, here is a link I just shot last night. I had a longer one but I am limited to 10MB upload on the server where it is at. It is about a 3MB file and I am still figuring out all the settings. I have a better clip but I can't upload it do to the file size.

Here are a few shots taken in the continuous shooting mode as well of a soccer game. These all were taken within a few hours of me taking the camera out of a box. They are not touched up but raw as they came out of the camera.

Had to pull the photos as my bandwidth got used up on the webserver they were posted on. Looks like they were downloaded about 250+ times.

Most were shot at the 12X zoom position. This was a really fast moving soccer game at the time and I was still getting used to the camera. All in all the AS did a great job I think. I specifically picked out the worst of my shots rather than what I considered the best. My logic is I wanted you all to pick apart the flaws so I could make the bad ones better.

Tim

Old Aug 25, 2004, 3:00 PM   #4

The shots seem to show a short depth of field. I realize that this is a fast moving game, but you might try using a higher Fstop. The camera seems to be focusing on the nearest person, which is understandable. Also try manual focus set at the middle of the field. Just a few thoughts.

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:13 PM   #5

Movie looks pretty good. Could you possibly take a movie and zoom in/out while doing so to check how it affects the focus? I'm almost ready to get the Z3 but want to see more of the movie function. thanks..
retgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:17 PM   #6

wmussatto wrote:
Quote:
The shots seem to show a short depth of field. I realize that this is a fast moving game, but you might try using a higher Fstop. The camera seems to be focusing on the nearest person, which is understandable. Also try manual focus set at the middle of the field. Just a few thoughts.

Bill
Bill, problem is with a higher Fstop I couldn't stop the action like I wanted to. It wasn't exactly a bright evening here and I had to trade off blurred motion or depth of field. I live in an area pretty far north and our days are already pretty short. Also most of my shots were done 1 handed as I kept having to move children out of the way so I could get the shots.

There was also a soccer game behind the one I was shooting so I didn't want it to distract from mine. My biggest concern was more tonal balance than anything. I think the Z3 did pretty well there.

Retgi- I have a longer movie but I don't have anywhere to post it. The webserver I used the other pics limits me to 10MB upload for each file. I can tell you that the focus keeps up pretty well with the zoom. I may try and trim the other movie if I get a chance. So far I'm very pleased with the camera. The movie mode seems to be better than my Z2 even if it doesn't shoot it 800x600.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:50 AM   #7

thanks...
retgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 3:25 PM   #8

Wavshrdr wrote:
Quote:
Bill, problem is with a higher Fstop I couldn't stop the action like I wanted to. It wasn't exactly a bright evening here and I had to trade off blurred motion or depth of field. I live in an area pretty far north and our days are already pretty short. Also most of my shots were done 1 handed as I kept having to move children out of the way so I could get the shots.

There was also a soccer game behind the one I was shooting so I didn't want it to distract from mine. My biggest concern was more tonal balance than anything. I think the Z3 did pretty well there.
Thanks. Did you try anything with manual focus into the middle of the action. I realize that large telephoto's have short dept of field. Interestingly none of the reviews of the Panasonic x12 talk about it, but it appeared on another discussion forum. Don't know a good way to measure it consistently. BTW how large is your bigger file?

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:26 AM   #9

Bill, my bigger file is 27MB. Too big for my online web liimit of 10MB files and normally too big to mail to anyone.

I didn't get a chance to try any manual focus shots. I may get a chance to this weekend. If I do, I'll post some more pics.