Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:31 PM   #1

Ive been searching for the best deal for the Dimage Z3 and came across http://www.streetprices.com/Electron...SP2368971.html I ended up going to this site http://www.amphotoworld.com/product.asp?id=mndimz3

where they have both the silver and black versions. They wante $385 for the silver and $389 for the black and seem to have secure shopping. My question is, should I be concerned with purchasing from them? Iwas told from Minolta that the only version in the US is black so I'm a little confused on this. How do I know whether I get the manufacturers warranty or not?

Thanks for everyones help/advice
tacoboost02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:54 PM   #2
Administrator

Caveat Emptor!

See my post in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 4:10 PM   #3

Thanks for responding. From your link I decided to purchase it from butterflyphoto.com They have thousands of reviews from priceshopper.com and a great rating. Hopefully this will be a smooth process.

Thanks for your help!!
Old Aug 28, 2004, 5:43 PM   #4
Administrator

No problem. Believe it or not, I've answered 3 posts in the past two days about these types of vendors on 2 different forums. Consumers tend to look at the lowest price in the price search engines, without researching a vendor's reputation. At least you were smart enough to ask.

BTW, most of the legitimate discounters don't *really* stock anything. They are simply order takers. They pass your order on to a distributor, which fills and ships the order usingcustomized shipping labels to make it look like it came from the vendor you ordered from.

Even the better known online vendors that sell digicams use this technique (dell.com, buy.com, etc.). So, when you see a vendor with a price significantly lower than everyone else, something is wrong (because none of these guys make much on a sale).

That's why you'll usually see items going in stock and out of stock at exactly the same time from most online vendors. Their inventory systems are tied into the distributors. So, if one is out of stock, they are all out of stock (with the exception of the true "brick and mortar" dealers that actually stock their own product -- and these are a very small percentage of the dealers in the price search engine listings).

Of course, the "scam artists" sometimes "claim" to have items in stock that they don't also. :-)

There are some exceptions --- B&H Photo and Video stocks their own merchandise, J&R Music World stocks some of their own,etc. Butas a general rule, the vast majority of online vendors don't stock anything. The advantage of ordering from a vendor like this is price (but you have to watch out for the "scam artists"). The disadvantage is service and return policies.

As far as Butterfly, when they first started up, they seemed to use the "hard sale" for accessories. But, their reputation quickly improved. I think you'llbe fine with them. Just watch out for the restocking fees if you change your mind with a discount vendor like that (you can't expect to get low prices and good return policies -- otherwise the vendors would lose money as thin as their profit margins are).

If you are not positively sure you want to keep the camera, make sure you don't open any shrink wrapped software, or damage the manufacturer's box,etc. when you test it. Butterfly has a 14 day return period with restrictions, and a 10% minimum restocking fee (which is actually a little better than most of the discounters -- which typically charge 15-20%). Here is one part of their policies (I'd read all of them):

"All returns are subject to a 10% restocking fee. If the condition of goods and packaging material are not 100% complete and in mint condition we reserve the right to increase the restocking fee."

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/u...fle=policy.htm

Old Aug 28, 2004, 5:59 PM   #5

Thanks for your concern.. I'm 100% I want this camera which is why I placed the order. I've been reading reviews on it and my sister has the Dimage Z2 and has been extremely happy with it. I've taken a few dozen pictures using it and was impressed (coming from a sony 2.1megapix camera that is 4 yrs old).

The extra zoom and the new antishake feature is just a bonus to me.

I can't wait to receive the cam!!!
Old Aug 31, 2004, 4:15 PM   #6

Just wanted to post my experience with butterflyphoto..

Placed the order saturday online. On monday around 10am received an email to call about my order. I called and typed in the extension.. After 3 attempts (I didn't want to leave a message) I got "Ken" but he answered "Digital, hold on" and put me on hold. AFter about 3 minutes (no hold music.. just dead silence), he came back and said "what's your name" which i told him and got a "hold on". Came back another minute and stated my shipping address wasn't the same as my billing therefore I need to call my bank and add the shipping address "on file".

So I called the bank, they stated.. there is no such thing as adding another address "on file". I could only change my billing address. So I called back which again answered "digital". I stated who I was and he said "hold on".. came back and said "ok" and i explained what my bank said. He said, "ok we'll run it and if it doesn't go through, it doesn't go through". "We'll email you if it doesn't go through". I said ok..

Received a call about 3 hours later from butterfly photo stating the same thing "ken" told me. She then said we have to call your bank and do a 3way.. When my bank answered, the rep at butterfly stated for me to verify my ssn which I refused. There was no way I was going to give my social to some company I didn't know nor knew where they were located. She then asked to verify the last 4 of my SSN which I obliged.. The rep said ok, we'll process it and I got a confirmation of shipment last night in my email with fed ex tracking number.

Hopefully everything turns out ok when I receive the camera.. I DID NOT like how they talked to me or treated me as a customer.. Very short with me, very rude!!! Makes me very worried about this whole transaction. I just keep telling myself that they have 1,000's of feedback responses. It should be delivered tomorrow so we will see.

Old Aug 31, 2004, 4:23 PM   #7
Administrator

Well, I don't doubt their rudeness -- that's typical anymore. As far as the credit card problem, if your credit card billing address is not the same as your desired shipping address, many companies will not process the card.

I ran into this a lot recently. We just moved, and when I tried to use my new address for delivery of goods, the vendors would not process my credit card (because the card address did not match up). I have since got it straightened out (by changing the billing address of the card to my new address).

Was your credit card billing address different from your shipping address?

Old Aug 31, 2004, 5:40 PM   #8

This is interesting. The shipping address being different from the billing address IS a valid flag for many companies, and most CC companies will not, in fact, authorize the transaction. This is to protect the CC holder from someone else using his account.

HOWEVER, my CC company allows me to add another address as a "valid" purchasing address. I am surprised your CC won't allow you to.

What bank is it?
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 6:13 PM   #9

It's Citizens Bank. I talked to them.. he was really nice and explained that I was trying to purchase something online.

I have no issues with them wanting the addresses to be the same... and I also respect that it's for my safety and there's. However, this is a anniversary gift and I want it shipped to my sisters house because my g/f always gets home before me and I obviously don't want her to see the package or who it came from.

Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:18 PM   #10

Well.. The camera got delivered this afternoon in perfect condition. I just picked it up from my sisters about an hour ago.. I've just taken it out and turned it on.. love it so far.. Can't wait to start learning about it and it's capabilities.

Thanks for everyones help.