Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:06 AM   #1

Looking for a camera to take closeup detailed pics of the side walls of excavated pits in soil. Looks for good detail in soil, (roots, colors, rock fragments, sand grains,etc). The Z2 and Z3 seem to be popular and the sample pics here and on Steve's page look great. Many of the posted pics here are of detailed shots from a distance. I will be essentially shooting at awall from 24" away or less.

The detailed area needs to not be much larger than a brick (5" X 7" or smaller). I am not concerned with any other features other than good detailed closeup pictures.

I'd like to know if this is a good camera for my needs. Some soils are not going to have much contrasting color and may not have direct sunlight on the areas to be shot.Would theZ2 or Z3 be a good choice (would I see any benefit in one over the other)?Am I looking at the wrong choice, would either of these be more camera than I need, andis there a better choice?
c2rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2004, 4:34 PM   #2

I think the macro capability of any digital camera is good for that purpose. If you need large prints, buy a 4 MP or more camera. If the images are viewed only on screen, buy 2 MP. If you need very good image quality without postprocessing, Canon and Olympus are the best, IMHO.
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 8:22 PM   #3

Mostly for viewing on the computer, also to send in email. May rarely print something out.Would the 10X optical and the other features be unnecessary for me?
c2rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:43 PM   #4

Thanks Bond, James Bond:lol:for answering my questionas to the res requirements for larger prints. I had seen them some place, but could not remeber where....
SternSteve121 is offline   Reply With Quote