Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 4, 2004, 12:20 AM   #1

I have just received my new A2.

1. How do you check for the installed firmware version?

2. Do you get the latest firmware off the Minolta site with complete instructions?

3. I am currently using a 16x Lexar CF card. Seems o'k. Any reason to get a faster card like the Ultra?

Thanks for the help.

BOILER66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2004, 12:02 PM   #2
Administrator

The instructions for checking the firmware version are in the installation instructions.

See how to check the version here (it's the instructions for installing the 1.12U (U.S.) version for Windows users):

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...e_Instructions

Your profile does not say where you are located. If you're in the U.S., this is where you need to go to download the firmware. When you select the camera model and operating system, you'll see a link that pops up when you go to download for the instructions:

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...pport_Software

If your model was designed for sale inEurope, here is the link (you need the correct version, depending on the market the camera was sold in):

http://konicaminoltaeurope.com/magic_frameEoI.shtml?nav.html?software/firmware/firmware_en.html

If your model was designed forsale in Japan, here is the link:

http://ca.konicaminolta.jp/cgi-bin/d...mp;product=da2

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 12:21 PM   #3

Thankyou JimC. I did discover the Minolta info. I am in Webster, N.Y. (suburb of Rochester.) I have version 1.11u, so I'll probably update after I get a better feel for the camera.

Again, many thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 1:48 PM   #4
Administrator

No problem. If you update your profile to include your location, it may help out for similar questions in the future. You'll find that the digital photography forums have a global user base.

So, when someone asks about where to buy a camera, memory card, printer, etc.; or where to download firmware, checking their location can help provide better answers.

You'd be surprised at how often someone in the U.K. asked about where to get something, and they'll get lots of responses from U.S. users that won't help them (and vice-versa). Ditto for Asian users, etc.

I'd read the instructions carefully when doing the upgrade, and make sure to follow them "to the letter". Personally, I always take a few extra precautions when performing an upgrade. In addition to making sure the battery is fully charged, etc., I'd do this:

1. Reset the Camera back to factory defaults (there is a menu choice for this) before upgrading firmware. Why? Because there is no way that a manufacturer can test for all possible combinations of settings, etc., for firmware upgrades. So, I think it's safer to do it this way. I've seen too many posts from users that had to send their cameras back to the manufacturer because they locked up after an upgrade -- even though they claim to be sure they followed instructions exactly (and I'm talking about cameras from other manufacturers, too).

So, my theory is that some setting combination could be causing a problem in rare circumstances. Even though you may lose your custom settings, it's a small price to pay if my theory has any merit (which it may or may not).

2. I always format the memory card with the camera (never the PC); prior to copying the firmware upgrade files to a camera. Why? There is always a possibility that you could have a corrupted FAT (File Allocation Table) that may cause a failure during the firmware upgrade. I actually format my memory cards every time before use with the camera (there is a camera menu choice for this) anyway. Heck, it's just as fast with most models as deleting the files anyway.

3. I always wait a little while after copying a firmware upgrade to a memory card before removing the camera from the USB port, or removing the card from a reader -- just to make sure that nothing is caching the file writing to the memory card (all buffers have finished flushing to the card). Again, this is only a precaution. It can't hurt anything from my perspective. Some Windows users also use the "safely remove hardware" icon to make sure all buffers are flushed first as an added precaution.

These precautions may sound "silly" to some users, but I would not take any chances when performing a firmware upgrade.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 7:00 PM   #5

I finally got around to doing the firmware upgrade. It was a piece of cake. I took all of the precautions you mentioned. The process is actually identical to that I used when working in the digital quality area at Kodak several years ago. I had the job of getting the latest firmware into our test cameras. Your thought have been appreciated.