Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 4, 2004, 4:49 PM   #1

Hi all, I have purchased a Z3 today and am having a nightmare connecting it to Win XP. Everytime I try I am getting system error and the camera turns off..... please tell me this is not just me! Any suggestions?
SimonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:42 PM   #2

I got mine a few days ago.. installed both cd roms, plugged in the usb.. hardware was found.. and bingo.. I have had no issues whatsoever thus far with XP and my Z3.
tacoboost02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:24 PM   #3

Do you both have XP with SP1? just wondering ...
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 8:36 AM   #4

Check camera firmware version. I got system errors in random places with firmware 1.00. They disappeared in 1.01.
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 4:31 PM   #5

Thanks folks, I am having a nightmare with this thing. Gonna take it back to the shop tomorrow and see what they say..... When I connect 1 time in 30 it finds the camera and starts to download the photo's , it is almost as if the camera does not give windows enough time to do what it needs??? I have no idea what "firmware" is as I am all very new to this but I will ask in the shop tomorrow!
Old Sep 5, 2004, 9:45 PM   #6

I had the exact same problems, and my camera is above firmware 1.00. I think I have the latest one.

I suspect part of it was that the camera, once it is turned on, changes its driver from a "Minolta Modem" or something like that, I don't quite remember, to a "USB Storage Device." They seem to be using some kind of bridge to make it act as a storage device. I kept turning it on, even though it shut itself off. After about 20 tries or so, it finally kept and I was able to access the SD card.

That having been said, I anyway got a Lexar media reader USB. It is blazing fast, and this way I don't have to waste battery power from the camera. They go for around $30. USD.

I hope your luck improves.
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 4:43 PM   #7

Thanks for all your help folks. I have taken the camera back today and been told by the shop that this is a common fault and they are getting loads returned! I've now ordered a Fuji S5500 zoom and am looking forward to trying that one!

Thanks again.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:25 AM   #8

The usb connection problem seems to be a software problem.

I found that my camera works on my work computer running xp with no problem. At home I boot 2 XP's on my machine. With one it works and the other which has more stuff on it, it fails.

One way around this to show it's a software problem is:

From XP start run "msconfig". (to disable all TSR's resident background programs).

Disable ALL in the startup tab. Reboot.

Now the USB connection will probably be fine, which means some TSR is conflicting with the camera.

Rerun msconfig and enable all, then restart, to get back to your normal system.
vscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:21 PM   #9

Yello,

I have just bought a Z3 with a 512mb San Disk (not ultra2) and have exactly the same problem.

I can take pics and movies and save them to the camera no problem. When i come to connect the camera to an XP box all i get on the camera is 'System Error' and the camera shuts down!

After hours of messing around and tweaking XP's registry settings i finally formatted the SD card via the cameras menu and hey presto..... it worked like a dream!

The camera only failed when XP's autorun had completed, this hints that XP is trying to do somthing that the factory formatted card will not allow.

:|
marcblount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:12 PM   #10

Mine works fine with OSX! :|

Get rid of that PC!:evil:
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote