Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 4, 2004, 8:42 PM   #1

So, I've been reading all this reviews about the Minolta Z3 and most of them mention an above average noise. I assume if so many people are mentioning it, there has to be some truth in it, of course. But my question is: is it really significant or are people being overly picky about it? would it be visible on a A4 print, for example? And isn't the camera supposed to have a noise reduction system? :?:
insideabubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:43 PM   #2

I guess it's the same question again. Back to the time I got my D7 , there was real hot discussion about noise versus details in pictures, how they are processed (in the camera), etc … I remember people talking about differences between camera processing methods, Minolta put priority on image details, Sony produce a picture a lil'bit "plasticied" by over noise reduction , Nikon a lil'bit oversaturated and a bit on the red (this is true IMO, with my CP950).
IMO, go to store, try the cameras you choose in first round (bring a memory card with you) and analyse the image yourself after. May be that's not a rigorous technical approach, but sure you see what you will get with that camera before buying it.

insideabubble wrote:
Quote:
And isn't the camera supposed to have a noise reduction system? :?
Oh, Minolta policy is (or was, that's what I remembered the from D7 times) to let the users reducing the noise as they wish after, not demolishing the fine details which could be precious for certain absolute "purists".

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 8:57 AM   #3

I think the noise at ISO 50 and 100 is usually acceptable, check my samples at http://www.pbase.com/jamesbond007. Night shots over 1" are noise filtered by the camera, under 1" they need NeatImage.
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:46 AM   #4
Administrator

KCan wrote:
Quote:
Nikon a lil'bit oversaturated and a bit on the red (this is true IMO, with my CP950).
I've still got an old CP 950, too (although, I'd be hard pressed to find it right now, since we've moved since I used it last).

It could be my imagination, but I think the colors are a bit more accurate after firmware upgrades. Have you upgraded your firmware? I've got version 1.3 on my CP 950:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...;p_cat_lvl1=23

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 12:20 AM   #5

JimC,
Thanks for the link . I have version 1.3 on mine since I bought it. But I like the color tone like that, make it warmer , I often push saturation and red on my D7i pictures. First time I got my D7 (the original) I was even a bit disapointedbecause pictures look "washed" . With my D7i, I always use Vivid color settingaranoid:.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:37 AM   #6

The noise solution is simple.

Go to www.neatimage.com and download the free version of neatimage (only 1.3Meg). You'll be absoutely amazed !!! I don't know how it does it but it really works.

The noise supposedly is reduced when you force the camera into iso100 or less. I only get noise in poor lighting indoors and trying to push the flash beyond 10ft. Using neatimage is much cheaper than buying a flash for the KM ONLY hot shoe.

I have another post where I explain what I've experienced with the Z3. I also have a 1G card and have had NO problems with lockups in the progressive mode, which I use alot. I have even used it in the fine mode.

I think the 1G cards are very new and very fast. I got mine for $109 which I think is a must if you take movies. I didn't get the camera for movies, but I do like the option.

vscales is offline   Reply With Quote