Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:16 AM   #1

Has anyone seen a comparison or actually compared the movie mode of the Z3 to the Canon S1 IS? I've seen samples of the S1 and it was very impressive. This will be the deciding factor for me. thanks...
retgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:36 AM   #2

retgi wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone seen a comparison or actually compared the movie mode of the Z3 to the Canon S1 IS? I've seen samples of the S1 and it was very impressive. This will be the deciding factor for me. thanks...
I think it is odd to make the deciding factor the movie quality. Consider this seriously: You won't be able to use either camera as a video camera... not in the practical sense, anyhow. Yes, you can take very nice movies with both of them, but only for a few minutes before you fill up even a 512MB card.

I have the Z3 and to address your original question, I will tell you it takes absolutely beautiful videos. You can even take upto 640x480 resolution, which you cannot do in the S1. However, I never take videos at that res, because it would fill up my whole card very quickly.

I have taken some short clips, such as at a birthday party, etc. It produces some really nice video, and the sound is better than I had expected, considering it is monaural. The zoom on the Z3 is virtually silent. I zoomed in and out in the video and heard no noise from it.

I want you to know my final decision for a camera came down to these 3 candidates:

Minolta Z3
Canon S1 IS
Panasonic Lumix FZ20.

The Panasonic was considerably more expensive, and personally no matter how nice people say it is, I really don't like Panasonic products that much. They used to be very good, but I have seen a decline in their products' quality over the past several years. (eg: televisions, VCRs, telephones). I did really drool over the LEICA lens they use, but that's not a tie-breaker for me.

Thus, it was down to the Canon and the Minolta. The Minolta has more zoom, higher mpxl capability, and I prefer an LCD that does not swivel around, because it is pretty easy to damage that thing. The Minolta Z3 has a very nice Anti-shake system which works astoundingly well at such high zoom (12x).

Both cameras have their limitations, such as noise and other quality drops in low-light. Most problems with either camera are conquerable if you know how to compensate for it.

I hope I've been a little helpful for you.

Rest assured, though, from everything I have read, they are both excellent cameras for their price range. You'll enjoy either one.

Last thoughts: many people are turned off by the fact that the Minolta will only take certain limited add-ons (external flash, wide-angle lens) and they must be Minolta's brand. Personally, I say who cares, as long as those products are good quality. We're not dealing with professional $1000 cameras here.

Anyhoo... enjoy whatever you get.
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote