Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:49 AM   #11

Clive Egginton wrote:
Quote:
Ok, I've found other posters' first impressions useful, now that my own Z3arrived a couple of days ago, it's my turn to add a a few comments.

Like other users, I too am getting this vertical, purple smearing on both lcd and evf in certain lighting conditions - it disappears when the shutter release is half-depressed and it does not appear (yet) on any images but it is annoying - I thought that it was lens flare at first and I fear that it could easily maskflare in the future,possibly spoilingshots. Has anyone found an answer to this problem?
Quote:
Enough for now - over to you.

Clive.

that vertical purplish banding seems to happen on all the z1/z2 and appearntly z3 cameras.. it dioesn't show up in the final pic whatso ever and in focus mode it doesnt' seem to appear either.

oddly enough it won't show up if the contrast is great and the objects are small......
trueno92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 2:54 AM   #12

> I do NOT like the .MOV format.

You can convert it with RAD video tools or QuickTime Pro to AVI (e.g. DivX). Half the size or less for a similar quality. Just Google for 'convert MOV to AVI' and you will find many descriptions on how to do it.
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:55 AM   #13

I had a reply from KM concerning the locking-up in Progressive mode, here's an extract:

"Does the 'lock up' happen while you are taking the pictures, or after you
have taken your finger off the button, and it starts writing the files to
the memory card? If it is happening at the writing stage, it could
indicate the camera is having some difficulty accessing the memory card.
You could check this by using a different card in the camera, if you have
one. If it does appear to be a card problem, you may be able to resolve
it by formatting the card, in the Playback Menu."

So, with scepticism, I formatted the card in the camera and guess what? I've had no more lock-ups (yet). Now, I've only tried it a dozen times or so butcould this is the solution for some of us? I'll keep you informed.

Cheers,

Clive (firmware 1.01e)
Clive Egginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 1:29 PM   #14

I don't think it can be the card. Since the crash happens before releasing the shutter button, the camera doesn't know yet which will be the last five pictures, so it can't yet start writing on the card.

Anyway, I've formatted my card many times already, and I can still crash.

Tell them that the crash happens before you release the shutter, let's see what they answer then.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:42 AM   #15

Clive,

exactly, the camera crashes while the button is being pressed, not after releasing it. Definitely not a card issue. Please try to get something outtathem KM guys!

Sorry about basically repeating 007's post but he's right and I wanna make sure you try and get an answer/solution regarding this problem.
neomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 5:48 AM   #16

Thanks guys, the latest response from KM (I'm talking to two different departments) is that that I have the latest firmware (1.01e) and that the camera must be faulty and needs the attention of a technician. They want me to send it back.

I'm not so sure that I want to do this. First, I want to know if the camera is still exhibiting this fault - I'll try some more Prog caps today. Second, I've only had it a week - I could send it back to Amazon and ask for a replacement but what's the chances it would have the same issue. Third, I'm not sure that I want my Z3 opened up (if that's what's needed) even if it is by KM themselves - I didn't pay for a 'refurbished' unit.

How are you guys living with the problem?

Clive.
Clive Egginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 6:27 AM   #17

Well, to be honest, this occasional failure sucks. I'd be willing to use continuous advance mode instead, but remember what the manual says about the maximum number of images for this mode in Fine quality/4MP? Exactly two.

Now for the progressive mode it is less specific. I quote: "Standard progressive capture records up to the last six images saved in the camera's buffer memory, the number of images depends on the file size. The rate of capture is approx. 2.5 fps with 4MP images." Now with the Z3 being slightly prone to showing jpeg compression artifacts I exclusively use Fine quality setting to minimize this. From my experience it amounts to five saved images. Which is great.

Unless the camera crashes, forcing me to open/close the battery compartment, curse and readjust the time and date. Since this happens more often than not and is as of yet unpredictibale for me, there's no useful mode left for me to quickly take several pictures in a row.

About the chances of getting a working Z3 upon returning to Amazon: That's why I was asking for you other owners to please check this out and reply. Come on, there's gotta be somebody out there with a Z3.

neomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 7:11 AM   #18

I haven't got such a good eye for JPEG quality, so I've switched to Standard compression. Since then, I experienced no prog. capture crashes.

Progressive capture is a special thing anyway for special reasons. So it's not that frequently used IMO, but if it's needed, then it's needed badly. :-)

I'd also feel bad about returning the camera just because of this. When the number of Z3's sold, and the number of users complaining reach a critical mass, they'll fix it with a new firmware. I can wait.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:30 AM   #19

Hi!

My Z3 also crashes in progressive-mode / fine-quality. The cam crashes while the shutter-button is pressed.
Firmware is 1.01e. SD Card is San Disk Ultra II 256MB
I think all Z3 have this problem.

I don't use fine-quality, so thats not a huge problem for me.

Ernstl
macchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 9:53 AM   #20

I did encounter twice when my Z3 hang even when it is not in progressive mode? Does any one have this problem too?
TeamWork is offline   Reply With Quote