Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 12, 2004, 1:28 AM   #1

OK I've been researching cameras for the past few days, my eyes hurt from reading so many articles. I have played with cameras in several stores...but today, for the first time, the Z3. I really liked the feel, the image stabalization, and the movie mode (although I probably wouldn't record more than 30-50 seconds).

Now here's the deal. The Nikon 8700 has a $200 rebate going for it, so I think I can get one of these for around $550. Thi sis the price my local retailer is asking for a Z3, although I know I can get it for $479 for example at buy.com, a reputable dealer. The Fuji S7000 has similarly nice features, but it doesn't have as much of a zoom as the Z3 (and no stabalization). I think the compression of the 6 MP on the Fuji worries me a bit, and it wouldn't be such an issue with the Z3.

Does anyone have any real-world comparisons to make between these cameras? I'm thinking if I can get a 8700, even if "in its class" of other 8 MP cameras it isn't as highly rated as the others due to higher degrees of noise, I'd be better off with the Nikon... but I'm having a heck of a time deciding.

Any opinions from knowledgeable users?
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2004, 3:24 AM   #2

I'm not knowledgeable too much, but these cameras are for quite different purposes. For example, what do you plan to use it for? For amateur purposes you don't usually need 6 or 8 MP, unless you are cropping many times or make huge enlargements. Otherwise you'll just have large files that can be handled slowly.

Another question is, how important stabilization is for you? Do you do lots of low-light photography?
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 3:24 AM   #3

(duplicate)
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 8:29 AM   #4

James Bond 007 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not knowledgeable too much, but these cameras are for quite different purposes. For example, what do you plan to use it for? For amateur purposes you don't usually need 6 or 8 MP, unless you are cropping many times or make huge enlargements. Otherwise you'll just have large files that can be handled slowly.

Another question is, how important stabilization is for you? Do you do lots of low-light photography?
There seems to be a lot of functional overlap between the two cameras, but then again I'm a relative newbie...I can't say for sure how important stabilization is to me, because I've never had a 8-10x zoom... but from the reviews of these cameras these are always "plusses". One thing I'm pretty sure I'll use is the video mode..I currently have a PowerShot S30, which has totally crapped out (none of the buttons work), so I'm looking to replace it. Anyway, from the experience I have with this camera I know that I want:

1. More zoom than just x3.6.
2. More pixels, so I can crop out images
3. An excelleng macro mode. I do a lot of "close up" nature shots (butterflies, etc.).
4. Good outdoor mode (again a lot of nature shots).
5. Movie mode - More fps and > 30s - I use this usually on my S30 during family events, but if I had good quality 35 s as the Nikon apparently has I'd be happy (I'm not recording movies, just little snippets of action).

So I'm wondering purely from an image quality perspective-- macor mode, outdoor shooting, occasionally low light.. in these areas how does the 8700 compare with the Z3. BTW I'm also looking at Fuji S7000 too.

Thanks and sorry about the long winded response.

- Jon
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:17 PM   #5

luckycat.. if you review my thread regarding "is this a scam" or something along that lines, you will find the Z3 for $431 shipped to you new in box with full warranty. My verbal communication wasn't the greatest with that company BUT i didn't experience any issues with them and was constantly kept up to date with the order status.
tacoboost02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 2:58 PM   #6

Thanks for the info, I'll check that out. I'm also looking at the Panasonic FZ20 at this point, so I'll be comparing the two.