Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 18, 2004, 8:24 AM   #1

Hello - I recently bought not only my first digital camera, but also my first camera that is not a simple point and shoot. I have a Minolta A1 and have been having fun playing with it. It came with a lens shield and also a couple of filters. These filters are 62mm and are applied with a step up ring from the cameras 49mm lens. I believe this is to eliminate vignetting. When using the filters, I cannot apply the lens shield since it does not fit over the filters. The filters include a UV and polorized filter.

Any thought on the pros and cons of using these filter verses the lens shield would be appreciated.

How much vignetting happens with the A1 with 49mm filters?

Thank you,

Anthony
aiannar974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2004, 11:08 AM   #2

aiannar974 wrote:
Quote:
These filters are 62mm and are applied with a step up ring from the cameras 49mm lens. I believe this is to eliminate vignetting. When using the filters, I cannot apply the lens shield since it does not fit over the filters. The filters include a UV and polorized filter.
When usingone filter, it's not necessary to use oversize plus stepup ring. Hey, the camera has 49mm thread to use 49mm filter first
With one 49 mm filter, there is no vigneting, 2 filters, then use thin ones, or then use stepup ring.

Stepup ring will interfere with the shade unless you put the shade before the stepup ring +filters, but it's not very easy to manipulate

aiannar974 wrote:
Quote:
How much vignetting happens with the A1 with 49mm filters?
One: no vigneting
Two thick: a bit on corner: chose 2 thin (3mm) or use stepup

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 3:28 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I have two 62mm filters. One UV and the other a polarizing filter. I had both on the camera today just to try it out. The UV first the then the polarizing. The polarizing is a circular filter that spins to adjest it so it is not real thin. I noticed with both of the, I had vignetting in the corners.

Is this normal?

Thank you,

Anthony
aiannar974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 4:37 PM   #4

Hi there,

though it is correct that a normal 49 slim filter will not vignet on the Ax, a Pol-filter will (sice it is -even in slim-line form- ) much thicker. The smallest Pol not vignetting is imhoa 58 with step up.

Since each and every filter is designed to produce one (or max.2)partikular effect(s), the sense of mounting several of these on top of each other escapes me (may be for experimental purposes:?) - the down side of using them together ( loss of light and optical quality, vignetting, falsificationof the originaly desired effectetc) seems to steep.

Ciao, Wolfie

(please excuse my bad english)
wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote