Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 18, 2004, 7:45 PM   #1

Hello Jim,

You've had the G500 for quite some time now. With all the new models popping up - Sony W1, Cannon A95, Nikon 4800 among a few, have you any thoughts on replacing your G500? A while back I wanted the G500 based on all the good reviews, but cost has kept me from buying. Then the Sony W1 came out and my interest was leaning towards that but I'm waiting to see if Sony comes up with firmware to address some of the W1's issues. Now today I was at Costco and saw the G500 listed for $279. Not sure what to do now. What is your opinion? I've re-read the reviews from 3 sites on the G500. One of them mentions the shutter lag being too slow. Do you find this to be the case?

Thanks in advance!

Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2004, 8:46 PM   #2
Administrator

Chuck:

Try one out in a store. Some stores should have demo models.

What I have found is a wide difference between models (probably due toQC and calibration). So, I think that some reviewers and users get "good ones" and some users and reviewers get "not so good" ones (to be polite to Konica-Minolta).

I recently discovered a hidden Autofocus calibration menu in my camera and accidently engaged it (I didn't realize it would immediately begin an Autofocus Calibration when you went into the menu). As a result, I noticed that Autofocus took significantly longer until I managed to get it back close to where it was to begin with. It took a little bit of work to get it back to Normal again (or, I should say a lot of work -- test targets at various focus distances while recalibrating, etc).

Trust me, you don't want to use the "Developer Menus". You won't get into them by accident. A very difficult keystroke combination is needed. So, if you get a well calibrated camera, I think you'll like it.

When properly calibrated, the AF does take close to 1 second before the camera will shoot. So, many newer models can beat it. However, it seems quite speedy for my purposes. It's also got a continuous mode that allows you to hold down the shutter button for multiple photos. It's not as fast as most. However,you can take 1 photo every 1.3 seconds until the memory cards are full this way by holding down the shutter button.

I leave my camera set this way all thetime, and I've never accidently taken more than one photo unless I wanted to. With most othermodels, you need to engage a special burst mode (which has a limited number of photos). Sure, they are faster, but they aremore limited, too. So, there are pros and cons.

You can also use fixed focus choices and virtually eliminate any Autofocus Lag. I've got mine setup where these are available under one of the controller keys. So, sometimes, I'll just leave it on a 2 meter fixed focus choice indoors in very low light. At wide angle, the camera has plenty of depth of field. So, most photos within the flash range will be acceptable sharp that way.

Will this be your first Digicam?

Personally, I've found the KD-510z (a.k.a., G500) to require the least post processing of any camera I've owned. All of the photos in my Konica album are "straight from the camera" except for redeye reduction in a few. I will warn you that this camera has "demon eye". So, be prepared to spend time correcting redeye (which can be time consuming).

It's one of the tradeoffs I was willing to accept in order to get a camera I could carry with me everywhere in a pocket. A larger model would be better in this respect (since the flash would be located further away from the lens).

So, it's probably not the best indoor camera (but none of the subcompacts are particularly good indoors).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 11:31 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply! Yes, this will be my first digicam. The G500 was my first choice a while ago, but I was struck by the large LCD as well as other featureson the W1 so I sort of changed my mind. Unfortunately some W1 users complained about blurred or soft pics while others loved theirs, so could be same QC situation. Anyhow with the price of $279 and pocketable size of the G500 my thoughts are now leaning back towards this. None of the stores carry the G500 anymore, they now have the G600 so I guess I can try out the G600 but maybe its not the same. The one at Costco did not have any power to it to try it out.

Are you content with keeping yours, or do you have an eye for new/different digicam?
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:02 AM   #4
Administrator

I'll keep it. I like having a camera with me inmy pocket.

I probably will buy aanother camera before long (but I'll still keep the G500).Lots of new models are being introduced this time of year, especially sincePhotokina starts in Germany at the of this month.

But, I'll give it a few months for the "dust to settle" and the prices to stabilize before I start shopping for another one (I'm keeping my eyeon thenew DSLR models being introduced). Right now, I'm still shooting with film from time to time -- so, I want something capable of replacing my 35mm SLR, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote