Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:23 AM   #1
TCB

I'm looking to get a high end Ultra zoom digital....got it narrowed down to these...

Minolta A2
Panasonic FZ20
Olympus 770
Maybe the new Nikon 8800
Or maybe the new A200 coming from Minolta

How are the pictures taken with the A2?? I want super sharp pictures for printing over 8x10's

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:17 PM   #2

Take a look at this thread... look at keithfzrpost where he shows a 30x40 print made from an A2...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=20&page=2

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 7:49 AM   #3

The A2'spictures are fine.The things that differentiate from the othersare the 1Mp EVF (instead of the usual 235,000 one which is very poor). The FZ20, the A2 and A200 all have image stabilisation which is definitely worth having. The rest don't. The FZ20 has a terrific zoom range which may be a clincher ifthat's what you need.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:21 PM   #4

Actually the new Nikon 8800 has a 10x stabilized zoom with 8Megapixels.

Nikon messed up a little with the 8700 but it looks like they got back in catching up with the other, I wish they would have gone a little more wide angle though.

I love my A2 but sure wish I could afford a Canon 1D Mark II...
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:24 PM   #5
TCB

I'm most concerned with image quality...(low noise levels)

I have the FZ 10 now and am a little frustrated with the high noise levels in my pictures.

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 3:00 PM   #6

Reducing noise is done by three methods:
1) Having a low noise sensor (DSLR) and fast optics.

2) Reducing theISO to the low noise point of the camera. Don't allow the camera to select this make it a manual selection and go as low as possible.
Don't undersaturate the picture. Even a good sensor can show noise in black areas.

3) Use noise reduction software (Noise Ninja ect).

For me I have shot with the Kodak 6490, the Minolta A2 and the Pentax 550. All of these I can usually get by doing option 2 and having a big friggen flash on the unit. On the times I needed to go beyond it I added noise reduction. Most of the noise complaints I see are people that let the camera decide on the speed.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 8:42 AM   #7

I missed the 8800 announcement. Looks like a reasonable camera except for the electric zoom - which should be confined to video cameras. Apart from that Castledude's said it all.If you're really worried about noise you have to go for the SLR big sensor option.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 7:02 PM   #8

TCB wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking to get a high end Ultra zoom digital....got it narrowed down to these...

Minolta A2
Panasonic FZ20
Olympus 770
Maybe the new Nikon 8800
Or maybe the new A200 coming from Minolta

How are the pictures taken with the A2?? I want super sharp pictures for printing over 8x10's
Your first sentence said you were looking for an Ultra Zoom...the A2 is not an ultra zoom. Although, it is probably the most feature packed digicam out there. If you learn how to use it, you won't be dissappointed in the images you can make!