Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:43 AM   #1

Does anyone have the silver Z3? Is there a difference other than color between the silver and black models? I am ready to buy this camera as soon as I get an answer to this question. I'm wondering if the silver ones are being phased out completely and are the early models, perhaps more prone to the problems some have listed. Personally, I like the silver look better. Thanks for your opinions and wisdom.
MacLoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2004, 1:02 AM   #2

When I bought my Z3, I was dissappointed to discover that the store only carried black. I thought perhaps the silver was only for display models, but after further research, I have discovered that the silver models are only sold outside the USA.
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 1:16 AM   #3

I found the silver ones listed at A & M and Broadway Photo. Aren't those both USA sellers?
Old Sep 19, 2004, 2:36 AM   #4

Interesting to hear the same complaints but with the opposite color. We Europeans all have silver Z3's and many of us would like to have a black instead. It seems that Minolta has mistaken when estimating the color needs of various countries. :-)
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:00 AM   #5

MacLoyal wrote:
Quote:
I found the silver ones listed at A & M and Broadway Photo. Aren't those both USA sellers?

THey maybe "USA sellers" but that does'nt mean they are selling you a USA warrentied Item. You very well could recieve a grey market camera with no USA warrenty support(or accesories for that matter)! Do a lot of research on the place you are buying your camera from. A & M and Broadway Photo are questionalble from what little i have read on them,(maybe someone with more insight on this could reply to their reputations).

FrankDawsonJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:30 PM   #6

Thank you for the info on "grey market cameras." I would have never known the pitfalls you mentioned. I am a babe in the woods when it comes to ordering online. My next bit of research is going to be on whom to buy from. This part makes me much more nervous than deciding which camera I want to purchase.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 1:11 PM   #7

i bought mine in the uk and could not find the blackz3 anywhere, i would have prefered the black as its abetter colourfor what i use the camera for, ie marks etc.
ukurbanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 1:54 PM   #8

MacLoyal wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for the info on "grey market cameras." I would have never known the pitfalls you mentioned. I am a babe in the woods when it comes to ordering online. My next bit of research is going to be on whom to buy from. This part makes me much more nervous than deciding which camera I want to purchase.
No Problem. I know the prices on some sites can be quite tempting. I just bought my 7HI online and i looked around for about a week at differnt sites. I ended up getting it from KEH. IF you stay with mainstream online sites like B&H, Andorama, KEH ,etc. you will be fine. Happy shopping.

Frank
FrankDawsonJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:35 PM   #9

Sometimes it is not that they are selling gray market, just that they use the silver model's image for the website. It is just an oversight on their part.

The only reason I wanted silver is that it reflects more heat, and black absorbs. I would rather my camera not absorb as much sunlight heat.
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote