Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 21, 2004, 3:53 AM   #1

:? I assumed that the .vivid mode on the z3 was affecting the saturation of the images...WRONG. When examining the EXIF outputs, the saturation setting remains at normal. The only difference I saw in a couple of tests was an increase in aperture. I discovered this when trying to calibrate the Z3 for Noise Ninja & found that there was actually no detectable diference in the EXIF output. So what is the difference?

Has anyone found any documentation on the .vivid mode?
alder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:28 AM   #2

You know, I have also been wondering that. I have taken "vivid" mode shots a number of times. Funny thin is, sometimes it has a very nice effect, sometimes it has no effect at all! Clearly it is designed to produce a more color-saturated image... quoted from the manual: "Vivid color increases the saturation of the color in the scene."

How exactly it accomplishes this I'm not sure. It could be a combination of more aperture and maybe some processing in the camera's software itself.

I don't really know why sometimes it has more of an effect than other times. Here are two images: the left side is Natural the right side Vivid.

Aside from a bit more rich green in the background, there really is not much of a difference. Perhaps it would have made a bigger difference in lower light, or different kind of light.

Attached Images

DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:55 AM   #3

Daniel: I did some more browsing around, and I think one can find the answer from some of Steve's reviews of other Minolta products--and other places. Apparently, .vivid is a differrent "color space" used for JPEG images. So, when you open a jpeg image in Photshop, for instance, they talk about Adobe or sRGB, etc. Well, there's also a .vivid . It's supposed to brighten up colors, especially when taking landscapes, so I assume if you use their default DSP's, they use the natural color for portraits and .vivid for landscapes; who knows what they use for the other modes.

Since I'm not exactly sure how this algorithm is incorporated in the Z3firmware, I'm not sure whether it affects the noise of a photo, and I didn't look carefully enough at the calibrations in Noise Ninja to speak to that. There is a discussion group on the Noise Ninjasite (www.picturecode.com), and the developer actually reads it (unlike Steve--who, I bet, never reads these. We'll see if we get a response to disprove that conjecture). Incidentally, I didn't buy the "Professional" version of Noise Ninja, but to do a thorough calibration process takes mucho hours for the home edition, anyway, and there is no profile library for the Z3--even so, I can't believe it's that consistent camera by camera, since I would expect that noise has such a large dependence on each individual CCD.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:05 AM   #4

:|To see the real difference between .vivid and natural as used by Minolta, see the following:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...aa2/page12.asp