Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:01 AM   #1

Hi all,

I purchased the Z3 a couple of weeks ago and have enjoyed using the camera. Up until yesterday, my PC (Windows XP) would recognize the camera when I plugged it in and turned on the power. Yesterday, after taking numerous pictures, I plugged the camera into the PCand Windows XP could not see it. I heard the beep when it was plugged in but it didn't show up in My Computer and the camera wizard didn't open up either. I called Minolta and they said it could bea badUSB cable but I find that hard to believe since it's only 1 1/2 weeks old. They said I could send in the camera to have it checked but that would be a 4 to 5 week wait to get it back. The camera works fine and I plugged it into the TV via the same plug and it worked fine. As I was anxious to get my pictures on the PC, I purchased a card reader last night which works fine in the same USB port. Although the reader is great, I would like to figure out what's going on with the camera connection as I'm worried about taking the card in and out of the camera all the time as I don't want to break the flip up mechanism.

Any ideas on what could be causing the PC to all of sudden not recognize the camera? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did a system restore to a few days earlier but that didn't help either.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.
wassct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:42 AM   #2
Administrator

I don't own the Z3. However, it's not uncommon for some models to be more "finnicky" about the USB connection.

I have seen a few posters having problems with it (but you sometimes see the same thing with other cameras too). In the past, I've read that SP1 (Service Pack 1 for Windows XP) solved some USB problems with other models (but I'd be hesitant to load SP2, given the number of horror stories I've read about it).

Chances are, something running on your PC is conflicting with it. I know that with my Konica KD-510z (Minolta G500), the HP Printer Monitor must be shut down for me to use USB. Here's a thread from someone else having difficulties with a Z3:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:06 PM   #3

Jim, thanks for your comments.

Well, I tried connecting on a different PC and it still wasn't recognized. I'm pretty sure I just have a bad USB Cable. Does anyone know where to find a replacement cable? I checked out the Minolta USA site and they are out of stock as are any merchants I've been able to find on the web.

According to the Minolta csr, they will only send me a "free" new cable (I've only had the camera for a couple of weeks) if I send the camera to the repair facility(I have to pay the shipping as well to the factory) and then theywould have the camera for 3-4 weeks. I would prefer to try a new cable before I have to send it in but just can't locate one. Any one have any ideas on where to get one? I love this camera but maybe I should have bought a different brand since Minolta is not being to helpful.

Any suggestions?
Old Sep 22, 2004, 2:50 AM   #4

I'd rather buy a card reader for $20-30. 10x download speed and you don't have to mess with the cable.
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 5:54 AM   #5

Hi Wssct,

Before you go buying a new cable read this.

Once connected, does your camera show up under 'My Computer' as a removeable drive? If so, it's not the cable.

It looks as though a number of people have had problems with the scanner and
camera wizard. Have a look at these:
http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showtopic=19465

There are a number of causes and solutions.

Here is an excellent article about the wizard - it will take a few
(5?) minutes to download as it's nearly 2Mb but well worth having (I
would print it out):

ftp://ftp.futurenet.co.uk/pub/pcansw...a%20wizard.pdf

There's a lot of info on page 4 about fixing autoplay but a fair bit
of it assumes that you know how to use regedit safely (it can bugger
up your machine completely!!).

One of the simpler fixes is to download and run a program called
AutoFix from Micro$oft (obviously because of buggy programming) -
here's a link to the page but it might not work:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Failing all this, there's another approach, try using a replacement camera wizard. ACDSee v6 has one that replaces the MS one but you have to buy it and there is aFREE app called Picasa (now from Google, http://www.picasa.com ) which I believe will also perform auto file transfer (plus editing, cataloguing etc).

Try it anyway and letus know how it goes.

Cheers,

Clive

Clive Egginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 9:37 AM   #6

Thanks guys for the help. I did buy a card reader and it works great. I just would like a cable so I can download any firmware updates, etc.

Clive,

When I hook the camera up it doesn't show up under My Computer (I tried on another PC as well) so that's why I'm leaning towards the cable being bad. The camera wizard comes up for my older digital camera and the card reader as well. I'm thinking it shorted out or something. If I could just find one in stock I would know for sure. I will also try out your suggestions below and will let you know how it goes. If anyone happens to see a USB cable in stock somewhere, please let me know. I guess since it's relatively new in the states they don't have them yet.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:16 AM   #7
Administrator

You may want to try these guys:

http://www.dcables.com/catalog/usb_2_0_products.htm

From what I understand, most newer camera models use a USB Type A to USB Mini Type B (5 Pin) cable like this one:

http://www.dcables.com/catalog/1_8_m...n__3238931.htm

However, the Z3 may require a special cable (since it's oddthey are using the same connection for the A/V cable, too).

Maybe you can look at your existing cable to tell if it's the same.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:58 PM   #8

Firmware updates are performed through the SD card. I have an AIWA MD recorder that uses a similar cable and connector. I thought I should mention it.
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote