Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 25, 2004, 4:00 PM   #1

This is probably the dumbest question but what is Firmware?

I've used my Z3 for 2 weeks now and don't see any mention of Firmware yet it is always being discussed. Even reading about the update didn't give me any clues.
Berengaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2004, 4:03 PM   #2

the firmware is basically the operating system code your camera is running. Updating it requires flashing the cameras non-volatile memory. Usually a painless process, but can leave you with a dead camera if the update gets interrupted or fails.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 8:53 PM   #3

Berengaria wrote:
Quote:
This is probably the dumbest question but what is Firmware?

I've used my Z3 for 2 weeks now and don't see any mention of Firmware yet it is always being discussed. Even reading about the update didn't give me any clues.
Firmware is what your camera stores in it's internal chips that tells the camera how to process information. A firmware upgrade is a software program that will change the cameras internal chips to behave in a different manner.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 4:18 AM   #4

Okay. If I download the upgrade to my computer desk top, how do I get it into the camera? (I have an iBook running Mac OS 10.3)
Berengaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:08 AM   #5

You need to move it onto the flash card. Sort of the reverse process you use to get your images off of the card. From there I hope there are instructions in the manual that came with the camera. One warning I've seen over and over again, when you update your firmware wither have your camera connected to external power or have a fresh set of fully charged batteries in it. The one way to KILL a camera is to have it run out of power in the middle of an update...

Sorry I can't give you details. I'm working from first principles here. But you hadn't had a reply yet.

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:20 PM   #6
Administrator

Berengaria wrote:
Quote:
Okay. If I download the upgrade to my computer desk top, how do I get it into the camera? (I have an iBook running Mac OS 10.3)
Download anduse the instructions.

Europe:

http://download2.minoltaeurope.com/O...256F150040E2F3

U.S. (where it says to "Click Here" for software installation guide):

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...rmware_102_Mac

Direct Link to instructions on U.S. site:

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...are_Attachment

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote