Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:51 PM   #11
NHL

It's two different animals (or Apple and Oranges)

The FZ20 has a nice zoom lens to go for... while the A2 is a more serious camera with more features than some dSLRs - RAW format capability, various colorspaces as well as the TTL wireless multi-units flash are important features not addressed by the Panasonic (or care for by most FZ20 buyers)

Are you serious in photography or just want to shoot long stabilized tele with no hassle?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:23 AM   #12

I am fairly serious, I do not sell photographs or anything like that, they are mainly for my own enjoyment. i used to take alot of photo's when i was younger and develop them myself with my father.

I brought my wife the kodax dx4530 last year and I have recently used my father's A1. I have been amazed at what people can do with digital photography.

This site hashelped inspired me to get back into photography along with using my father's and wife's cameras. I'm JUST NOT SURE WHICH CAMERA TO GET .

( A1, A2, A200, Panasonic FZ-20 ):|
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:44 AM   #13
NHL

Well you have to decide first if the telephoto is more important than the wide angle. This will pretty much determine which camera right away

Beside the resolution difference, there's a lot more features on the Minolta than the Panasonic, again it all depends on how much post-editing you want to play with (or not bother). The Minolta will allow to shoot fast burts in RAW while this is not even possible on the FZ20, also the mapping to various colorspaces which is absent on the Pana.

If you like fast zoom however then the FZ20 is hard to beat.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 1:23 PM   #14

I Like the zoom the lens on A2 and A1 I have not tried the Panasonic yet I would like a wider field of view on my pictures, but get close in as well.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I think the FZ-20 does not have as much wide angle as the A2 and A1.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:49 PM   #15
NHL

Sounds like the A2 is your pick... my too, I much prefer the wide angle to the tele
Old Oct 6, 2004, 3:02 AM   #16

Thanks NHL

The A2 was the first camera I was going to purchase, but I got myself confused with all the reviews and different peoples opinions. I think your right and I will go for the A2. All I have to do is raise the funds!!

Thanks again for your help.:-)
Old Oct 6, 2004, 7:05 AM   #17
NHL

FYI

http://www.pbase.com/mtf_foto_studies/mtf_faq

Also check this out: http://home.tiscali.be/johan.branders/A1/A1-focus.htm
... the A2 just have one of the best EVF [Period]
Old Oct 6, 2004, 7:39 AM   #18

Thanks again NHL

I have seen the first website before and found it quite informative. The second one also looks very good and I'm sure it we help me when I get my camera!

Cheers again.

RobT
Old Oct 8, 2004, 6:06 PM   #19

I'm looking for a very decent digicam and am considering both the Canon G6 and one of the 8 megapixel Minoltas. For whatever reason, there are already a number of G6 reviews out there including Steve's site. I wonder when Steve is going to review the A200? Anyone know?

I'd also be interested to hear about other "reader's" experiences with the A2. Does anyone here have any particularly telling experiences, both positive and negative? Most reviewers gave it a "very good" to "amazing" rating (Michael Reichmann especially). I'm concerned about the quality control has that been addressed by now and no longer an issue? I'm also curious about its flash connectivity capabilities... again, any comments?
rvand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 3:20 AM   #20

rvand

I do not not know enough about digital photography at the moment to even try and answer this question.

You might get a better reply if you post it in " What camera should I get " forum or even the " Konica Minolta " forum as a new topic. I have found that NHL and castledude often send in very good replies to any questions you might have.

I hope this helps you

RobT