Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 26, 2004, 5:34 AM   #1

I have just seen a website that shows a Konica Minolta A200. Is this a new product?

I have never seen or heard of it before, is it an updated version of the A2, it appears very similar in spec. It has not been reviewed on this site as far as I can see.:?
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:09 PM   #2
Administrator

The A200was announced by Konica-Minolta on September 15th (although there were some "leaks" of photos of the camera before that).

Here is the press release on it:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/mi...4_a200_pr.html

It's not shipping yet (my guess is that it will most likely be November before you'll find it on store shelves, but this is only speculation).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:37 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply,

I checked with KonicaMinolta and the A200 will be on the shelves for sale in November ( IN THE UK). They could or would not pass on any details on the price.

It would be nice to see if the image quality is any different to the A2.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 5:29 PM   #4

Just by comparing the advertising pics to my A2, it seems the major change is the addition of a variable angle LCD (now opens to the side).

To accomplish this it appears they have moved a number of dials and buttons, especially from the left side (to accomodate the LCD hinge). BUT, more importantly, it appears they have eliminated some things:

-the Top Data Panel is gone

-the grip sensor is gone

-eyepiece shortened (still adjustable?)

-magnification button gone

-flash synch, digital effects controller, focus mode switch (gone?, gone?, gone?)

Seems like a lot of changes just so people can take self portraits, lol.

-my 2cents
xylem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:26 PM   #5

Looks like the mag button is above the 4 way "joystick" and has an mag+ and mag- option.

It might be just the angle but I don't see the automatic switch sensor between the eyepiece and display. And if it does have it I would want that switch to make it manual once in a while.

External flash sync and top display missing would not be fun for me. It also seems tohave only one wheel control. In manual mode this would not bevery easy to set aperature and speed.

I'm also now used to having and recalling settings quickly. I imagine it still has them but it looks like it will be a few more steps to save and restore them.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:40 AM   #6

I agree with castledude,

It would not be much fun without a top display, I am new to all this and I'm looking to get a new camera. I have a kodax DX4530. I havebeen looking at the A1 and A2 but just saw the A200.

I have very limited knowledge on the specs of the cameras and what they actually mean. Here is the website I have been looking at http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...age/index.html

Please take a look it might answer some of your questions and I would be interested in veiws in comparing the A2 & A200. :?
Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:09 AM   #7
NHL

It looks to me like the EVF is also degraded (922000 vs 235,000 on the A200) and non-tiltable, with no diopter adjustment either!
-> the A200 seems like a defeatured A2 to meet a price target or audience

Sound like a DRebel vs 10D comparison, with features like flash compensation also disabled on the A200 as well as the various colorspaces mapping for the output pictures... :-):-):-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 1:06 PM   #8

RobT wrote:
Quote:
I have very limited knowledge on the specs of the cameras and what they actually mean. Here is the website I have been looking at http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...age/index.html
Maybe I'm reading something into that site but It looks like the cameras are shown in orderfrom best to worst. Based on that, the A200 is below the A1 and above the Z3so they may be trying to sandwich in something in that gap of pricing/performance.

This is not a new and improved A2 but a filler camera for the people intimidated by all the knobs and functions of the A1/A2. It will be interesting to see if the defaultfirmware adds more sharpening and saturation by default to give a more "friendly" picture default out of the box.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 7:03 AM   #9

That's right. It's an A2 built down to a price for people who don't necessarily want all the bells and whistles. If it were a successor I guess they'd have called it the A3.It's a real pity about the loss of the 1Mp EVF though. That's one of the A2's best featuresIMO.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:59 AM   #10

Ok I can see what your all saying,

I'm just starting out in digital photography. Do you think this might be a good camera to start with? I know it's quite hard to answer without trying the camera or having many sample images or even a price! Just by looking at the specs would this be ok or should I just go for the A1 OR A2 ( I have recently looked at the write up's for the Panasonic FZ-20 which appear quite good.

I THINK I'M JUST CONFUSEING MYSELF:?

I would like the camera to have a good zoom, good quality pictures, anti shake system and take photo's well in lower light conditions. I would like to take photo's of fast moving sports outside and try some more challenging photographs to improve my photography.

( I like the idea of setting the camera up to take the pictures how I like them)