Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 18, 2002, 9:59 PM   #21

NHL,

Well, you're way beyond me. My electronics experience is from the early 70's and I didn't know very much then. Of course, if you're sending codes, you can do the job with one channel. All I've seen RC-wise is that one channel has a choice of +, -, or no signal. And there's no way my brain can come up with full functionality out of that.

Well, maybe there is. If you can come up with a circuit that will "latch" the focus relay with a burst of + and release it when you send another burst of +, then you could use - for the shutter release. Send + to focus. Send - to take the photo. Then send + to release the focus. If you decided not to take the picture, you could just send + again to release focus. I stand corrected, but I have no idea how you would design such a circuit.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 1:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHunt
Wal-mart now has short range IR toys with a keychain size transmitter for about $10.00 if you can live with the IR limitations.
JimHunt,
this is interresting , can you tell what toy is it? 1 or 2 chanels ?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 9:54 AM   #23

I don't remember the name of the toy. It was a small car (maybe 5" or 6" long) with a 4 (or 5?) button remote. It's set up with a temporary hidden cable so that you can try it. It says "TRY ME" or something along those lines on the package. Blowing the horn was one of the actions. Instructions on the back tell you to unplug the temporary cable to use the toy. I'm not sure if it actually says IR on the package or not. I didn't open it, but I'm almost positive that it's IR. The car uses 4 AA's, so 5v relays would work.

This is going to be very short range, directional, and require a clear line of sight. Fine for those group portraits that you want to be in.

You'll have to buy or scrounge relays and a case plus the cable and plug from the receiver to the camera. Hey! You could keep the horn and have it blow when you focus. Blink the headlights when you take the photo.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:40 AM   #24

NHL

I don't have my 7i right now (in for flash repair) so I can't check again, but as I remember the left hand common pin seem to be logic high. The other two pins seemed to have a fairly high input impedance. I'm guessing they go to CMOS gates.
charlibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:54 AM   #25

I never thought about shorting the left and right pins together. I don't know what that would do. I based my construction on the construction of the Minolta wired remote.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 12:49 PM   #26
NHL

That's what I thought was logical for a digital product. The only reason I brought it up was someone worried about the power hence using either transistors (or FETs) and controlling the base (or gate) is more efficient than a relay along with it's associated flyback diode... It also allows one to do a logical 'AND' of the two controlling pins based on just 1 ch. radio!

Just my 2c! 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 3:33 PM   #27

Default Locking camera in Focus

I don't know about you guys but don't want the camera to stay focused unless I’m holding a button.

I’m not going to be the only person to use this. My dad will, and i know he will forget if the focus is set or unset.

What i would like to do is have a two button remote like for a garage door. Or this remote package here.

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...5Fid=HK0067266

When i press the left hand button it would focus until 5 seconds after i let go of it. during which time i would have to press the second button to get the shot.

So that i would not have to try and press both buttons at the same time. and if i let slip of the first i would be able to still get the shot with out the camera trying to re-check its focus.

I also think this would make it easier to use one handed, trying to press two buttons on a small remote control could be tricky with one hand, this would give you a little ... "play"

Only an idea and i have no idea of how to make it work.

ps IF anyone how understands electronics can tell me if the product in the link i listed is likely to be a good bet i would VERY much appreciate it before i send away for it.

Cheers
Tony.
tonyjobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 4:16 PM   #28

Locking camera in Focus

Many appologies if this is a double post, (computer problems)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about you guys but don't want the camera to stay focused unless I’m holding a button.

I’m not going to be the only person to use this. My dad will, and i know he will forget if the focus is set or unset.

What i would like to do is have a two button remote like for a garage door. Or this remote package here.

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...5Fid=HK0067266

When i press the left hand button it would focus until 5 seconds after i let go of it. during which time i would have to press the second button to get the shot.

So that i would not have to try and press both buttons at the same time. and if i let slip of the first i would be able to still get the shot with out the camera trying to re-check its focus.

I also think this would make it easier to use one handed, trying to press two buttons on a small remote control could be tricky with one hand, this would give you a little ... "play"

Only an idea and i have no idea of how to make it work.

ps IF anyone how understands electronics can tell me if the product in the link i listed is likely to be a good bet i would VERY much appreciate it before i send away for it.

Cheers
Tony.

Back to top [/b]
tonyjobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:22 PM   #29

Hi guys!! Get ready for kind of a long post.

I've listened to all the great feedback on this RF remote topic and finialized my schematic!!!! Boy I tell u, microcontrollers have really spoiled me. I can't remember the time when I had to grab a discreet logic book to design a circuit The circuit is a little more complicated than I had hoped due to combinational logic, so for that reason I am waiting for parts so I can "TEST" the design (even though everything simulated okay).

Enough of all that stuff. This is the way it works: The first press of the remote button does focus, if u quickly release and press again the shutter activates. That simple :!: If you release the remote button longer than a specific period (which is set by an RC constant - so u can vary to taste) the next press will do a prefocus again. Only if you release and press in the specified window will the shutter activate.

I could have done it simpler with latching relays and such - but the functionality would have been wrong (or at least not as flexible). I have heard some people recommend CMOS to interface to the 7i, but the problem is if you dont attach at least the ground of your circuit to the 7i, it won't work. So I decided to use my trusty bilateral analog switch. I've used it in several mod and hack projects before(I'm a super hacker/modder/phreaker), when you reall don't know what kind of circuit you are interfacing to but you know its low current/voltage and that you gotta short stuff together .

The schematics utilize (4) IC's for the reciever :x (wish I could use a pic micro - it would then only be 2 parts) and 1 for the transmitter. The freq I chose is around 315Mhz or so - and the Tx/Rx pair does encoding so you won't get accidental shutter activation. The max range for the Tx is 300 Ft optimal. If you don't use my recommended layout and antenna setup(which I will supply) you might get less than half that. They both run off of three volts so 2 AA or AAA will work fine.

Receiver is about $21.00, Transmitter is around $13.00 not including batteries, case and circuit board.

I'm doing the layout now (using surface mount parts to keep size down and leave a nice ground plane for the RF antenna reference plane) and I guess parts will be in next week (everything was in stock) .

What is the best way for me to post this info? I guess I could use PDF as a good format.

Please E-mail or PM any comments/ideas you may have......
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:57 PM   #30

This is for tonyjobson

I looked at the product link you supplied and it seems like it will work RF wise. You have to add circuitry in order to get the functionality you want (press 1 button for focus, press another within five seconds to activate shutter) but it can be done!!!
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote