Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 9, 2002, 12:04 PM   #1

Default D7i remote connector

Does anyone have information on a connector that fits or can be adapted to the three pin header that Minolta uses for the remote cable? I have a Canon remote cable that would be easy to adapt with a short interface cable if I had a Minolta compatible connector.
charlibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2002, 12:38 PM   #2

Hi Charli

I didnīt try but heard
that
PC cord for connection of
Sound card and CD ROM
has right connector for
remote shutter

TRY

Petr
PetrM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 6:49 PM   #3

The 4-pin CDROM plug can be ground down to fit. There's also a three-pin sound card connector that fits, but needs to be built up a little. Some barrery pack connectors (Digital Wallet, for one) will fit, but need to be built up.

There's an interesting ongoing thread here:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/...eid=1033754617

(As usual this stupid forum software splits the url. You'll have to cut and paste and edit to remove the space.)
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:00 PM   #4

Default Thanks for the replies

Interesting thread from your link, Jim. I wish the poster who mentioned the Jessop's remote had given the model number. I searched thier site and only found actual Minolta parts, not third party. Looks like the simplest way is to modify a CD audio plug.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:09 PM   #5

Default how about a foot switch

If a decent connector can be found, I'd like to rig a foot switch to do the firing,
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2002, 10:13 PM   #6

Default Foot switch

A foot switch is no problem. The only thing the remote does is short the left pin to the center pin to focus and then short the right pin to this to take the photo.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 11:38 AM   #7

Default Answer to my own question

I ended up cutting down a four position CD-Rom audio connector housing to three positions with a razor blade. A sharp Exacto knife would probably be a safer choice. I cut the index groove between the 2nd and 3rd pins with a small "V" shaped carving tool. Finally, I molded some epoxy putty to the back of the connector and around the wires (Belden cable) to provide strain releif. All in all a nice snug fit. Luckily, I had a suitable switch from a Canon remote that I was able to use via a stereo mini jack.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 8:03 PM   #8

Default Remote release

I spent today making two remotes.

my dad decided he needed one after i had finished mine.

I used a 4 port CD audio cable for one
and a three pin LED cable for the first wich i had to add the wiring attachment to the central pin.

I had to use and old 2 button mouse one button focuses the other shoots.
Works OK but it is a bit bulky.

My question is has anyone comeup with a good way to make a radio controled release.

I have seen this site,

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...ss_remote.html

but i want to know how to make one from scratch.

Thanks
Tony[/url]
tonyjobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 8:31 PM   #9
NHL

We've discussed about this in lenght in the old forum and all the links are gone, but I believe JimHunt has a schematics from a toy 2ch. remote for his birdies. :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 11:31 PM   #10

Any 2 channel RC or IR toy can be gutted to make a remote for the Dimage 7 series. The biggest thing is to make sure it's at least two channel. A lot of the RC toys have only one channel with +/- to make it seem like two channels. Read the box carefully and make sure the transmitter has two separate buttons. The only other catch is to make sure the voltage on the receiver is appropriate for the relays you intend to use. Since you're not driving a motor, you can downsize the receiver from AA's to AAA's to make the unit smaller. I was pretty sloppy with mine and didn't try to make it pretty or small. I added LED's to let me see exactly what I was doing with the controls. If you don't want the LED's, you can use reed relays and eliminate the rectifiers. Here are some photos and a schematic:
http://www.pbase.com/j_a_hunt/rc