Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:58 AM   #21

Hi iacopo,

Thanks a lot for the comparison photos. What a difference! I think I might upgrade my camera after this.
lclarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:18 PM   #22

I want "upgrade" too. BUT I dont know...i have new camera ( from August 2004) so -> warranty...

I dont know

Can I after RAW firmware upload back original firmware?

Thanks. Lukas
Lookashek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 7:37 AM   #23

how is about Z3 firmware for RAW modus ?

kbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:30 PM   #24

Iacopo- what was the difference between RAW file size and the JPEG of the samples you showed? The difference is amazing. I want to be able to do this with my Z3! Good thing I bought a couple 1GB SD cards. Probably will need them if I can ultimately shoot in RAW mode for my Z3.

Ok, someone out there PLEASE hack the firmware for the Z3 to allow for RAW mode. It would definitely make it easier for me to do mulitple edits with no degradation in my original pic. The difference in fine detail is amazing.
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 7:12 AM   #25

hi, jpeg with fine quality is ususlly 1.3M while the corresponding raw is 5.7M.

once the file is on your pc you have to convert to a compatible format. if you want to use Adobe Camera Raw you get an 11M file.
iacopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 5:57 PM   #26

Thanks for the info. I would definitely like to have that option to have a RAW mode. I could then do the processing into .jpg for the photos that weren't so important to me. If nothing else it would give me a choice as to what level of compression I wanted. The RAW mode shows what this camera could really be capable of.
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:32 PM   #27

I just updated the firmware for my Z2 as well. Wow! Most impressive, I must say! It just adds a whole new dimension to this camera. Now I need a new SD card :-)
Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:30 PM   #28

Wait for a bit. The new 2GB SD cards are coming out.
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:55 AM   #29

...do not be frightened by the "System error" you might see after taking several pictures. It is just because you SD card is full.

I think that the reason is that the new firmware is not able to compute the right number of available shot in ECO+RAW mode (it just shows the number of picts as if the RAW file would not be saved). So it probably gives you an error because it thinks it could be write on the card but the card do not allow it.

Because the size of a jpeg+RAW pair is about 6M while the size of a ECO jpeg is about 400K you can get an estimate of the remaining shots by dividing by 15 the number the camera is actually reporting....(divide by 10 if you are optimistic, then divide again by two if you are pessimist!)
iacopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 4:16 PM   #30

I just want to add one thing. Have you noticed any degrade in the number of pictures you can take with one battery charge? My batteries are becoming exhausted quicker when shooting raw pictures. This seems quite plausible, because it takes quite a lot of energy to burn the large amounts of data to the flash.