Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:54 PM   #41

Hey... I've been out of the loop for a bit. What a shocker to come back to find that I can now shoot RAW with my Z2!! So here's my question: Should I upgrade to 1.03 then RAW, or stay at 1.02? Or will RAW drop me back down to 1.02 anyway?
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:00 PM   #42

Does anyone know if the Dimage Viewer software opens RAW files created by the Russian hack? My new Z2 just arrived, and the little Viewer manual talks a lot about RAW file processing (of course it refers to different models than the Z2 which ship with RAW function as part of their "native" firmware).

However, if the pictures taken with the hacked firmware have a jpeg extension, are they really RAW, or are they just running avirtually lossless compression algorithm? If they are truly RAW, why can't they be renamed as such and viewed and edited with the Dimage software. No doubt there is a simple explanation, but can someone tell me what it is - just for the record?
wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:15 AM   #43

Anyone tried installing the hack on their Z3?

B
rxse7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:48 AM   #44

This question has been raised several times before, but no one has responded positively - probably because it can't be done. Minolta themselves tell you not to risk updating firmware other than that intended for your model. Depending how the Russian programmer hacked the Z2 firmware, my guess is that it is based on the existing 1.02 version for the Z2. I am still waiting for someone who has used it recently to confirm that. My new camera is 1.03, so I am reluctant to use the RAW hack until I know what features I might be giving up. Based on the Rockwell site comments about RAW, it might not be that big a deal anyway. The Nikon NEF format is not pure RAW apparently, but a hybrid TIFF, which is one reason you need the Nikon proprietary software tocapture it properly.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 7:52 PM   #45

Hi folks,

well, i've done it and it works, but not all programs see the photo as a real nef file.

Photomechanic was not going until i resaved the file in Nikon capture as a nef file, when i did that the extension changed from "NEF" to "nef" and a 640x480 embedded lossless jpeg was embedded in the nef file increasing the size of the file by 230 KB.The embedded jpeg and thumbnailnow looks the same as the nef file looks in Nikon Capture after correction.

Photoshop then told me that the file had been altered by another program but still worked.

Helicon Focus pro can load the nef file.

VueScan can load the nef file and save it to 48 bit tif either raw or corrected.

http://www.dpmagic.com/features_community.htmlgives you thumbnails of nef files in windows for free.

With Breezebrowser you can extract the 640x480embedded jpegs and view.

Sharpraw works.

The new version of Qimage don't seem to open nef files, and older version worked fine.

Acdsee and Irfanviewopens the nef files.

Paintshop pro don't work, Bibble 2004 don't work, Silverfast DCproStudio don't work.

thumbnail before resaving:

embedded jpeg afer resaving:

pinobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 11:52 AM   #46

Hi Everyone

I've had a Z2 since July and am very happy with it. I'm a pro and occasionally want just a little more from the Z2 and a raw mode would be great. Professionally I use S2's, D100, and D2H, but I hate lugging these to kid's sporting events and man this Z2 is great for sports if you have a steady hand and I do.

My question is this...After the upgrade can I still use the high speed continuous mode that makes the 1mp jpgs at about 15fps or is this mode disabled and has anyone upgraded to this firmware then decided to go back. I use this mode occasionally and it makes great 5x7 prints...and it also looks great on DVD?

Any help would be appreciated....Thanks
Captain_golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:22 AM   #47

Hello Golf,

The RAW mod replaces the economy mode. Standard and Fine are still there. You can still shoot high speed continuous mode but not in the RAW setting. Just switch to FINE and you'll be fine with high speed continuous mode.
kb3gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 1:04 PM   #48

Can you tell us what version of the firmware your camera reports after doing the RAW upgrade?
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:36 PM   #49

I just installed the hack on my Z2 and it works great. Only problem is I'm not sure what to do now. I convert them to .NEF but none of my photo editing programs work with it. Is there any way to get them into Dimage viewer? Is there a different way to convert them to true RAW's so more editing programs with work with them?
Thanks
Flame
Minolta_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:33 PM   #50

Minolta_nut wrote:
Quote:
I just installed the hack on my Z2 and it works great. Only problem is I'm not sure what to do now. I convert them to .NEF but none of my photo editing programs work with it. Is there any way to get them into Dimage viewer? Is there a different way to convert them to true RAW's so more editing programs with work with them?
Thanks
Flame
Isn't NEF Nikons special format? Are the files truly NEF though? I thought you said that windows calls them .jpegs, but won't open them (perhaps it is just reading the imbeded jpeg file). One thing you could check on is a NEF (if thats what those files end up to be) plug -in for PSE, or PS CS.
Hope that helps a little,
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote