Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:42 PM   #51

Max... I think that they really are .NEF's because when you convert the Z2 RAW's into the .NEF format. So I would guess they are... I will look to see if they have that plug-in though. Does anyone know if there is a free program like Nikon Viewer that I could get to read my .NEF files? Or is there another more common Z2 RAW converter?
Thanks
Flame
Minolta_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:22 AM   #52

The original post on this forum offered the following links

raw2nef convertor with Minolta Z2 support: http://e2500.narod.ru/raw2nef_v0.13.1.zip

Nicon Capture for NEF-files: http://www.nikon.com.ua/support/download/NCap41en.zip

I don't know enough about this stuff yet to know if this is helpful or not. I am still experimenting with my own Z2 trying to learn all the features before I try the so-called RAW (I gather from other forums that it isn't true RAW, but a hybrid TIFF format, hence the NEF designation).

I am still waiting for someone to tell me what firmware version their camera reports when using this hack. Mine is currently 1.03, so I am reluctant to step backwards unless I can find out what improvements Minolta introduced between .02 and .03.

This is the third time I have asked this question - surely someone knows!

wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:51 AM   #53

Thanks for sharing the link to the .NEF converter with me, but... it seams to be a very low quality conversion. Also not many editing programs support it. on my camera it say it is 1.02 on the firmware check and I don't think KM has released a 1.03 firmware upgrade publicly yet to download... so it may be hard to find a copy.
Flame
Does anyone know how to extract the imbedded jpg? And what editing program did you use?
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:05 PM   #54

I downloaded Nikon Capture and everything works like a dream! Thanks to everyone that helped me! Z2 RAW's ROCK! :G
Thanks again
Flame :|
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:33 PM   #55

i just flashed my firmware to this hacked firmware. Only problem is, the NEF files that I get are slightly darker and off-color compared to the standard jpeg pictures taken at normal or fine settings. Is this normal or does my camera not work with this hacked firmware?
tschanrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:05 PM   #56

tschanrm,

Your camera works fine. When you shoot in raw mode, you capture exactly what the CCD is seeing, nothing more, nothing less. No processing is done on the images. When you shoot in Normal or Fine mode (JPEG mode) the camera processes the data from the CCD (applies brightness/contrast, color balance etc.). So in theory you should be able to achieve the same results with post-processing when shooting RAW. In fact, RAW mode often requires that you do some post processing to achieve the desired results.
lclarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:36 PM   #57

Thanks for the info lclarsen. I guess I should have figured that out with a file extension name like RAW
tschanrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:23 PM   #58

In fact,I find that the photos that require the most adjustment are the ones that benefit the most from being shot raw. Low light raw photos particularly can be enhanced by Photoshop.
Kilbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:08 AM   #59

Coul anyone post a 400 ISO foto with this raw hack? Thanks a lot.
Abadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:07 PM   #60

Abadon wrote:
Quote:
Coul anyone post a 400 ISO foto with this raw hack? Thanks a lot.
Sure thing! I still find that the noise level with ISO 400 isn't so good. I think its better then JEPG but still not wonderful. At ISO 200, 100, and 50 in RAW mode they look AWESOME! It is also really nice to be able to adjust the levels with Nikon Capture. So I find I really never shoot on ISO 400. This one is of a white wall just to show the noise best. No editing was done except for white balance change.
Flame
If you would like a picture of something a little more interesting then a wall I will be happy to post one of those too. Just thought the wall showed the noise levels best. :G
Attached Images