Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 6, 2004, 4:27 AM   #1

I've tried 2 different Z3 now (both from the same store).
images have streaks running through them, like superimposed corduroy. see image (cropped to decrease file size)
you can see the ridges especially over the black areas.
this happens in different settings - auto, anti-shake on or off, flash on or off, sharpness hard or normal, highest resolution fine or normal quality...

any clues?

thanks,
CK
Attached Images

cyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2004, 4:38 AM   #2

The Z3 seems to be hypersensitive to electronic noise. Try changing the location in the house and also go outside, far from the house and any electric wires and see if the streaks disappear.

(I'm not saying the streaks are OK, but if your house has very much electronic noise, then maybe the Z3 is not for you and you'll need to look after something else.)
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 8:49 AM   #3

Don't use iso 400 and don't increase the exposure with the EV+1 thing.

Sorry for being vague.
cordear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:09 AM   #4

Re: the electronic noise:
You have a good point there - we live in a neighborhood where there are cell towers nearby and sometimes you can pick up the local radio on speakers if the wires aren't shielded. we also have wi-fi in the house.

The other digicams I have, the nikon and two canons don't do this - has anyone else heard of electronic noise affecting the Z3 or other Minoltas?

Thanks,
CK
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:32 PM   #5

What ISO setting are you on? Other settings as well would be helpful.

The only time I've experienced things similar to that is with very high ISO that was not appropriate for the conditions. Even then, it was not streaking, just noise.
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 3:16 PM   #6
Administrator

DanielT2 wrote:
Quote:

The only time I've experienced things similar to that is with very high ISO that was not appropriate for the conditions. Even then, it was not streaking, just noise.
His photo was taken using Autoexposure with Flash at ISO 200 (probably where Autoexposure would set itwith flash). The camera is on Firmware Version 1.02 (the firmware designed to fix some problems, including this one).

I think James' theory may have some merit (electronic interference could be the source).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 3:17 PM   #7

What version of firmware is installed on the camera? This problem is supposed to be corrected or at least improved in 1.02.

chpmmttn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:08 AM   #8

JimC wrote:
Quote:
DanielT2 wrote:
Quote:

His photo was taken using Autoexposure with Flash at ISO 200 (probably where Autoexposure would set it*with flash).*** The camera is on Firmware Version 1.02 (the firmware designed to fix some problems, including this one).

I think James' theory may have some merit (electronic interference could be the source).
you're right, it carries v 1.02. I manually set ISO to 100 and it still streaked altho slightly less. I went to Tall's Camera at the mall and used their Z3. no noticeable streaking there. I called Konica support and they agreed that it was noise altho they did not think it was from radio or external interference and that there is nothing I can do. I can't reconcile this except to say that Konica support was wrong and it is my locality. Of course, the best way to test this is to take my Z3 to the mall and take a shot there; if no streaking then it was probably external source. to be honest I am now gun-shy and even though the Z3 would have been the best camera for me, I fear that such a problem may reflect generally poor or variable quality in a $500+ camera when I would best invest that money in a digital SLR costing twice, but with fewer worries. IF anyone else knows of a fix, I'll be glad to reconsider the Z3
Old Oct 9, 2004, 8:02 PM   #9

Please let us know how it works out with your Z3 at the mall (or anywhere else without the same kind of EM activity you mentioned)
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 4:36 PM   #10

From looking at your image it appears that the streking may in fact be a moire pattern with the dots in the printed image interfering with the pixels in the camera sensor.

Try photographing an actual object rather than a printed page and see if the problem persists.

Ron
Ron Segall is offline   Reply With Quote