Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 17, 2004, 1:12 PM   #1

I purchased a Minolta Dimage G500 last December. It has worked perfectly until I downloaded Windows XP SP2. After I did that I was unable to upload any pictures from my camera. I then restored my computer to a previous date and could upload pictures. I have tried this several times--downloading the SP and then uploading pictures--and it won't work. Right now I do not have it installed but hate to risk NOT having SP2 on my computer. I was told that maybe there are new drivers or updates for the Minolta but I've spent hours trying to find them on the web. Does anyone have any advice about this? Thanks--Toni
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2004, 5:45 PM   #2
Administrator

It's unlikely that it has anything to do with the camera or it's drivers if itworks fine without the Service Pack 2 install. I've hadmultiple friends that really messed up their PC's installing it. Does your camera show up as a removable drive under "My Computer" at all, or are you just saying that the camera wizard isn't working?

If it's only the camera wizard not working, then that has nothing to do with the camera's USB drivers. If it does show up as a removable drive, right click on the drive letter, and make sure your Autoplay settings are correct. See this thread for details:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=52&page=2

BTW, I'd make sure to upgrade the camera firmware to version 3.38a if you haven't yet, and you're using it to transfer your photos. This will give you dramatically faster transfer times via USB. See my post in this thread for details:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:44 AM   #3

Thanks so much. I'll check it all out tomorrow when I have the time.

When I upload pictures I go to "my computer" and then "removeable drive E" and proceed from there. I guess I've never used the autoplay setting but will check it all out and let you know. Thanks again--Toni
Old Oct 19, 2004, 5:03 PM   #4

Hi. I've been working on this for several hours. I thought I had it mastered but now I'm baffled again. I took one picture to see if I could figure it out and it worked, but then when I took several more I can't do a thing! In the autoplay I've tried almost every option I was given and now I get an error message that says, "an unknown error occurred when accessing an unnamed file" when I try to upload my pictures. When I did the one single picture I used Dell Image PC card and then it automatically uploaded the picture. I'll keep at this and try to figure it out. At least I know I SHOULD be able to do it after downloading windows XP SP2; I just can't do it like I did before by simply going to my E drive and uploading from there. I'll keep at it--thanks--
Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:32 AM   #5

TRy formating your SD card, on the camera. I have a G400 and I aquire the pics from the "mass storage device" that is recognized when I plug the camera on the USB.
ttretas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:24 AM   #6
Administrator

Yes... I would try formatting the card with the camera (Menu, Setup, Format).

Have you noticed any other strange problems with the card (slow startup, etc.)? Sometimes the Sandisk Standard Cards have compatibility problems with this model (and many other "manufacturers" are using Sandisk Components).

Konica-Minolta used to approve SandiskSDcards in sizes 128mb and smaller for this model(with specific warnings about using the 256mb card). But, they have since removed all Sandisk SD cards in all sizes from the tested cards list for it.

Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:56 AM   #7
Administrator

BTW, some users are reporting that USB ports randomly stopped workingafter SP2,even though they were fine after the SP2 install and a reboot.

The fix seems to be going intoDevice Manager anddeleting all USB related devices.

Then reboot, let WinXP-SP2 redetect all the USB stuff again.

Old Oct 23, 2004, 8:51 PM   #8

WHEW!!! I'm going to have to explore all these options. I'm REALLY confused now. I have been using the San Disk USB 2.0 card reader but maybe I should be using a cable hooked from the computer to my camera to upload the pictures?
Old Oct 24, 2004, 7:45 AM   #9
Administrator

I just got a new computer that was preloaded with XP Pro and SP1. I flashed the Motherboard Bios, and installed SP2.

At first, I did have some odd problems (programs hanging, etc.).

I then checked for all available updates using Windows Update and installed them (.net stuff, etc.), and everything has worked fine since.

My KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500) also works fine with SP2.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 8:00 AM   #10

Thanks, Jim. One question--do you use the SanDisk for uploading pictures or do you upload right from your computer?