Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 29, 2004, 5:55 AM   #1

Has anyone Z3 user from Europe tried to see a movie captured by z3 (640x480, 30fps) on a PAL TV (25fps).
Is there a synchronization issue?
Also are there any black stripes on the borders of the screen? How good is the movie on the TV screen?

I am almost decided to buy a Z3 but wondered whether I could use it as digicam for small clips and to view tham on TV or record to my old VCR.

Thanks
Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2004, 6:35 AM   #2

There's an option in the settings that allows you to change the video output from NTSC to PAL.
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 7:07 AM   #3

OK, but how does it really work? Have you checked?

I saw somewhere in the forums (for other camera) about USA and non-USA models. So will z3 bought from USA be the same as the one from Europe?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 6:18 PM   #4

I have a Z3 and have tried quite a lot to check its quality regarding the movie function. After much testing I can tell you that if you use the camera atits best movie setting it gives very good shots. If you use it at 15 pictures/sek you get between 10 and 11 minutes with movieclips on a 512 MB memory card.
Karl Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 6:50 PM   #5

Yes, it will work fine. In all other parts of the world, electronics are designed to work on multiple systems........ meaning PAL, NTSC , or Secam. Only in North America are things screwed up so you can't play aPALVHS tape on domestic machine.

KM is not going to produce a NTSC only or PAL only camera since the associated electronics to switch back and forth have been used for years, decades is more like it.

Just switch the video output setting on the camera so you can see it on a PAL monitor/TV. YOu can test it yourself. Take a short video. Try it on the NTSC setting, then try it on the PAL setting. On the PAL setting, audio should be okay but the video will look like the vertical hold is majorly out of adjustment.
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 2:16 AM   #6

Thanks,
you helped me a lot, since I'm still planning to buy this camera from USA and live in Bulgaria and won't be able to test before I buy...

Thanks guys.:-)
Old Nov 6, 2004, 7:08 PM   #7

KueH wrote:
Quote:
Just switch the video output setting on the camera so you can see it on a PAL monitor/TV. YOu can test it yourself. Take a short video. Try it on the NTSC setting, then try it on the PAL setting. On the PAL setting, audio should be okay but the video will look like the vertical hold is majorly out of adjustment.
The problem is that PAL-TVs have 25 fps and NTSC-TVs have 30 fps. The movie mode of all digi cams I know is either 15 or 30 fps, though capturing at 25 fps would be easier than 30 fps. PAL is totally neglected by the manufacturers of digicams. The TV-setting is only for displaying still pictures by connecting the camera with a TV. It probably won't work, if you want to display 30 fps video on a PAL-TV.

On the other hand, the situation is not that. If you convert the mjpeg video to divx, as I always do, and burn it on a CD or DVD you can play it on many divx DVD players. These players usually can convert NTSC-Video to PAL-Video.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 2:24 AM   #8

Mmm, I think I am a bit confused now. By the posting of KueH I understood that changing the setting from NTSC to PAL on the camera somehow changes refresh rate (to 25fps) and therefore vertical hold becomes bad. And that should be OK for me.

Now you, Kassandro make me think that captured video at 30 fps on KM Dimage Z3 will not be seen OK on my PAL TV without converting on the PC because my TV set will not support NTSC/30fps, right? Will you confirm that? Do you live in Europe? Or at least have you had a chance to test the case on a PAL(only) TV?

Thank you very much for your answer.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:45 AM   #9

Broadway wrote:
Quote:
Mmm, I think I am a bit confused now. By the posting of KueH I understood that changing the setting from NTSC to PAL on the camera somehow changes refresh rate (to 25fps) and therefore vertical hold becomes bad. And that should be OK for me.

Now you, Kassandro make me think that captured video at 30 fps on KM Dimage Z3 will not be seen OK on my PAL TV without converting on the PC because my TV set will not support NTSC/30fps, right? Will you confirm that? Do you live in Europe? Or at least have you had a chance to test the case on a PAL(only) TV?

Thank you very much for your answer.
I live in Germany andPAL is my TV standard. What I know for sure sure is that the TV setup option is for displaying camera pictures on a TV by connecting the camera and the TV with a cable. It does not effect the creation of movie clips by the camera. Thus with nearly all digi cams you can only creat movie clips with 15 or 30 fps, which is fine for NTSC but bad for PAL. Now, because mjpeg (used by most digi cams) is a very inefficient movie compression technique you have to convert them anyway. I always convert them to DivX (actually I use the better freeware XviD) avis, which are much smaller. Now with Avisynth you can convert a 30 fpsvideo in many ways to a 25 fps video. Rather than doing this (with a substantial quality loss) I leave the frame rate unchanged and end up with a 30 fps divx avi. I then burn this 30 fps video on a CD and my DVD player, a Cyberhome CH 462 (costs only 49€ at Amazon in Germany) , convertsit during playback to 25 fps such that the connected TV can display it. Most divx DVD players can do this. Unfortunately there are no DVD players, which can play back the very big mjpeg avis created by the camera, though this could be implemented very easily.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:06 AM   #10

Oh, thanks a lot

It seems that I will reconsider my choice maybe......