Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:21 PM   #1

I have been using my Z1 and loving it except one problem. There is a delay from when the shutter is pressed to the actual flashfires. The 'candid shots' are late and the person has moved by the time the picture is taken. Many great shots lost. I have this problem with on board flash and 5600. No problem with non-flash shots.

Any ideas?
chettrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2004, 5:24 PM   #2

How does the camera work with the onboard flash ?
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 5:11 AM   #3

I get the same delay whether it is used in darkeness or in light for fill flash.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:36 AM   #4

I am using a Z3 and a 5600 flash. Don't know if it's exactly the same. There are3 things on the Z3 that will delay a flash exposure: auto focus, red eye reduction, and flash not ready.

If you frame your shot, then mash the shutter all the way without auto focusing by pushing the shutter part way down, the camera will try to auto focus before opening the shutter. In low light situations, auto focus can be very slow or even non functional, since the Z series has no auto focus assist capability. To get around this, I use manual focus a lot in low light.

With red eye reduction active, you have to wait for the Z to flash the flash a couple of times to close the subject's iris before the shutter opens. This feature only works with the on board flash, and is not available for external flashes.

The Z series cameras will lock the shutter if you are asking for a flash exposure and the flash is not ready.After you shootthe firstflash pic, watch the "flash ready" indicator upper left in the viewfinder before you take the next pic. This function only works for the on board flash. When shooting multiple shots with the 5600, you have to watch the 5600's ready indicator on the back of the flash. Since the Z does not track the flash ready signal from the 5600, it thinks the flash is ready all the time, and will open the shutter even if the 5600 is only partially charged. This can mean under exposed shots if you don't remember to watch it.
Jerryclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 4:17 PM   #5

I use the 5600 with the EP1 external flash pack. Nearly zilch recharge time, but I do make sure it is ready. I will try the things you mentioned. thanks