Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 17, 2002, 2:37 PM   #1

Default Dimage7i Electronic And Mechanical Shutters

Most digital cameras use an electronic shutter. The Dimage 7i specs say that it has an electronic and mechanical shutter. What is the purpose of the mechanical shutter? :? How does it work with the electronic shutter?
jjgncmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2002, 2:47 PM   #2

thAt is an interesting question. i think i'll call Minolta tech support for some clarification on that.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 6:44 AM   #3
NHL

Default Mechanical sound...?

Trust me... with CCDs it has to be an electronic shutter. What Minolta is referring in the manuals are the electronic or mechanical sounds of the shutter release that theses camera can generated during the shutter actuation!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 7:41 AM   #4

NHL You have a dimage 7. Put it in manual mode, wide angle, f2.8, 2 second exposure. :shock: Look in the lens and trip the shutter. You will see something open and close(mechanical movement within the lens). I know about the electronic sound effects. I got the information about the mechanical shutter from the specs posted at Minoltas web site and in Steve's review.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 8:39 AM   #5

yep- he is correct. its even easier when you go to tele 200. it is both the iris and a shutter. the iris closes down or opens as needed and then the shutter closes behind the iris to end the exposure and then reopens for a new exposure. shut off the camera and the shutter closes behind the iris assy again. :shock:

that was an excellent observation jjgncmg

it guarentees that exposure is ended. gives us that mirror up feeling. probable better for the ccd to recycle(recharge) in the dark its a momentary dark slide type setup. :!:
Old Oct 18, 2002, 1:44 PM   #6
NHL

Isn't this "shutter" more built for protection (like in dSLR) than actually used to formerly time the exposure like on film? Aren't the CCD quite fragile and could be blinded by long exposure through the lens like a sun shining through a magnifying glass?

CCDs have logical input pin to electronically 'snap' the picture and a mechanical shutter in the formal sense is quite redundant, in fact sampling the CCD after a shutter has closed (ie darkened) is where the noise floor is @ its worst. Correct?

F707/F717, 5000/5700, and D7/i/hi CCD: http://www.sel.sony.com/semi/PDF/ICX282AQF.pdf
Old Oct 18, 2002, 2:24 PM   #7

i won't argue that point if it wasn't for the fact it reopens so the imager then is able to aquire again anytime the camera is on. it only goes closed to complete a shot or when the camera is off. the rest of the time its open.

i don't think tech is going to have a clue on this issue. this will need a letter to the people who engineered it.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 2:33 PM   #8

:lol: Just was interested in the purpose of the mechanical shutter. If its for protection good, and thanks. I do not claim to have any expertise in the internal workings of a digital camera . That's why I asked you guys. I have been trying to figure out how to take better pictures with my Dimage 7i and wanted to understand how this feature might effect pictures. I have found that I can take really great and really bad pictures with this camera. Its not as easy to use as my old olympus c3000. I have found that by overiding complete automatic exposure (set shutter speed manually to 125) setting when taking flash pictures that I seem to get better shots especally in poorly lit rooms. I am just interested in learning the quirks of this camera.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 2:41 PM   #9

you brought up an interesting fact. i'v gone thru 3 gens of this camera and never noticed what you did find. it sparked off a lively conversation which is what this is about. any camera can take a good or bad image in the hands of many people. its 90% photographer 10% camera.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 3:01 PM   #10
NHL

Default Try the manual 'What You See Is What You Get' mode

Put the camera in manual. Select a shutter high enough to prevent camera shake, then dial-in the aperture... Voila! This is WYSIWYG at its best, ie you approximately see the result recorded to flash before the picture is taken!

This is the easiest camera to lean to shoot in manual. As you open and close the aperture (or change the shutter speed), the EVF brighten and darken as what the camera will actually capture to flash...

Have fun :P :P :P