Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 17, 2002, 5:29 PM   #1

Default True or False?

The other day I was in my local camera store looking at the Dimage 7Hi and comparing it to the Nikon 5700. The sales clerk told me that the 7Hi has a TRUE SLR type lense (I was also considering SLR/Digital cameras like the D100, but its way beyond my price range). Contrary to what I have heard about the Dimage 7Hi, he insisted that the camera is just like the more pricier SLR/Digital cameras but with a single, fixed, non interchangeable lense. Is this true?

Also, what about the Dimage 7Hi versus the Nikon 5700...any opinions out there?
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2002, 6:33 PM   #2

False , IMHO
(he must mixed up with the E20?)

The D7 family cameras ( D7, D7i, D7Hi) , as well as the CP5700 , all use an electronic viewfinder (EVF) . The name says it all, it's just like small LCD display that you look through a loupe ( the eye piece ) , it's not optical like a "real" film SLR ( you are looking optically through the single lens , via a mirror )

The Olympus E20 for example is closer to a real SLR since it has an optical viewfinder, you are looking through the lens and a kind of prism acting as a mirror.

Nevertheless, an EVF is not a drawback, even an advantage ( for me) , for example, you can have lowlight amplification ( I am talking about D7xx, for 5700 I don't know) , and real time WYSIWYG judgment of your shot ( color /white balance, exposure)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 6:46 PM   #3

Thanks, Kcan. That's what I thought. I hope this was an honest mistake on behalf of the sales clerk. For some reason, I can't help thinking that it was an attempt to misrepresent the product.

What about the DHi versus the Nikon 5700? Anybody out there have an opinion or preference?
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 8:53 PM   #4

Minolta versus Nikon is a hot debate.
Myself, I was a Nikon "veteran" before , with the CP950 and film SLR, and honestly , I like Nikon color ( a tendency to the red, and a bit over saturated color, I guess ) , with my D7i pics, I often crank up a lil bit the color ( mostly with vivid color setting )

But my choice of my 5 Mpix camera was the D7 before ( versus CP5000 at that time) because of:
1) manual zoom ring
2) 28-200mm coverage
3) incredible low light focusing ability (again I compared D7 original with CP5k, the CP5k can't compete)
4) general $$ for features offered

#3 is very controversial subject, but, I had to try both camera to make my own conclusion .
Old Oct 18, 2002, 12:03 AM   #5
NHL

Default ... more 5700/D7i comparisons

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...19db81a7#13269
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 1:04 AM   #6

Hey thanks NHL, I forgot that thread,
Luckily , I did not contradict myself ... yet :lol: