Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 6, 2004, 3:35 AM   #1

When I download sample photos of the Minolta Z3, about half the time, they are saved on my hard drive as bitmaps. When the save options come up, bitmap is the only option - JPEG is nowhere to be found. As I said, this occurs about 50% of the time. It happens randomly, and with photos from several websites. It occurs ONLY when saving Z3 photos - all other cameras save properly as JPEGs every time.

Anyone have a clue why this happens? Probably a simple explanation - but I don't know it.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 3:24 PM   #2

If you're talking about from the internet, sometimes even though the original image was jpg it will only save on your computer as a BMP...why? Who knows. And it doesn't matter what camera took the original image, or if it was totally created in the computer.

After it's saved, you can always convert it to a jpg, even with the free Irfanview or the many other viewers or photo editing programs out there.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 5:08 PM   #3

I remember having this problem with Windows 98, a while ago. I think it's some bug with Windows. It might have to do with lack of Windows resources.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:03 PM   #4

If you're running into this problem with Internet Explorer when trying to save an image, try clearing its cache (Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files; then typically best to exit and restart the browser). This often seems to resolve the problem.
Gary Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 1:26 AM   #5

Yes, I am using Windows 98 - and InternetExplorer. I've downloaded dozens of sample photos from several different cameras, and this problem occurs only with the Z3 photos. It could be quitea co-incidence, but I doubt it. And it's happened on many different days.

I'll try another browser and see whathappens.

Thanks.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 3:56 AM   #6

Why mess up your computer? Just convert the BMP images to JPG after. When it starts happening try resetting your computer...I know after several hours of surfing it starts happening and has to do with memory leaks. To REALLY fix it moving up to a newer operating system (along with the updated browser) would help.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 6:18 PM   #7

I'ts alright you are not going mad, exactly the same thing happened to me, I downloaded some Z3's from one of the main review sites and although stated as jpeg. they only saved as .bmps, this has never happened wth any other camera's photos and I have downloaded many over the months during various searches for the perfect camera ! Needless to say it did not affect my decision and I swopped my Z2 for a Z3 last week. Excellent camera.

Lizzy
kathmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:04 PM   #8

I don't think this has anything to do with the Konica Minolta or any other camera for that matter... when I encountered the problem in Win 98, it was with pics from almost any site...

Try updating Internet Explorer (if you can)... or try another browser like Firefox...

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:33 AM   #9

I had this problem before and it is an easy fix - although it drives one mad until they figure it out. You must delete the temporary internet files stored in your cache, due to a corrupted file downloaded during your web travels. Microsoft actually has this problem listed on their support site here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810978

Anyway - follow the instructions and everything will be ok once again!

cheers,

Imagennaro
Imagennaro is offline   Reply With Quote