Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 20, 2002, 6:50 PM   #1

Default Need Your Answer...in a Flash!!

After careful evaluation of various 4.0 - 5.0 Megapixel digicams (not to mention the helpful advice from you fine people on here), I've decided to purchase the D7Hi. I do have one question regarding external flashes. The sales clerk at my local camera store has strongly advised that I purchase the Minolta 3600HS or 5600HS flash, the latter of which is terribly expensive (retail $649 up here in Canada). Are there any other less expensive brand name flashes you can recommend? And, if so, how effective are they compared to two Minolta flash products?

Thanking you in advance.

SteveZ
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2002, 7:02 PM   #2

if your not in a hurry sigma is releasing 2 strobes for the D7 series. should be out within the next 2-3 months. prices in the $150-$250 US catagory.
the reason for the specialization and of course the extreme pricing is you must now sync the strobe with the ccd capturing not with a shutter assy. these strobes have both capabilities. i own a HS6500D. it is a kick butt strobe if just a little pricey. oh yes and of course each camera has their own special way of syncing.

http://www.arnason.no/modules.php?na...article&sid=82

thanks to NHL for the link
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 7:13 PM   #3

What about flashes made my Sunpack, Metz (SP?) or Vivatar?
Old Oct 20, 2002, 7:22 PM   #4

read posts by KCan. there is info relating to Metz in Canada. it is going to be a while as the shift continues to digital. in this economic enviornment they're a little slower to come out with many new toys for products that may or may not sell well. the D7 series is just coming into its own now. acceptance is happening for it. the battle for digicam market is widening to include minolta as a true contender with nikon sony canon etc.

now if someone just came out with a decent U/W housing for this series. ewa has had one in "development" for over a year.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 7:59 PM   #5

Default Maybe Kcan will know

The two Sigma flashes sound interesting (especially the EF 500 DG Super) and a slightly less expensive than the the 3600HS/5600HS. The thing is, do I want to wait til December? And will they be available in Canada at that time? Perhaps Kcan would know.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 8:32 PM   #6

Steve Z,

Metz 45 flashes ( me and Padeye use these) do not offer you wireless operation. A 45-CL4 can be plug directly the sync terminal of the D7Hi ( auto-aperture and manual modes only) . For a bit more than 200$Can, you can get the SCA adapter to have TTL/ADI modes.

The sigma new flashes seems very interesting for the price , but as I comment here you have to check the specs carefully to compare apples with apples . Still , it should be a good deal I guess.
Padeye and myself prefer handle mount flash rather than hotshoe mount flash , it's a question of taste (and power available ) , some may hate a to (bulky) arrangement .

PS:
Want to see what it looks like? :arrow: http://www.pbase.com/image/1964130 :mrgreen:
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 9:11 PM   #7

Thanks, Kcan. I take it that purchasing an SCA adaptor for the Metz 45 will give you wireless operation? Not that "wireless operation" is a major priority for me right now. But I will need an external flash for the D7Hi. Question is: do I want to pay through the nose (5600HS)...or explore the other options presented here. There's a very good chance that down the road, "wireless operation will be important to me.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:55 PM   #8

You can also use a auto trysistor flash and trigger it with a hot shoe slave mounted on an L bracket. Just set the onboard flash at 1/16 power setting and let the big flash do the work. I'm using this setup and I'm quite happy with it for the present. The slave should be of the type which will fire on the second flash. I set the the camera to manual and test expose a my longest distance then let the auto light sensor on the flash do its job. If your have one of these flashes around coupled with the slave and L bracket. It is of course a lot less expensive.

Dave

:P
msgtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 11:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Z
Thanks, Kcan. I take it that purchasing an SCA adaptor for the Metz 45 will give you wireless operation?
Steve Z, you are welcome, but no, the SCA adapter 3302M3 DO NOT give you wireless operation of the Metz flashes , it only add ttl/adi capability ( it is mounted on the D7xx hot shoe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Z
There's a very good chance that down the road, "wireless operation will be important to me.
If it's the case, It's not a good idea to go for the Metz, because right now I am not aware of wireless support of Metz flashes with Minolta digital camera. If you know you gonna want wireless soon, you better start right away for Minolta flash since the Metz is quite expensive too (unless you opt for a used one , which is not a bad idea at all)

Dave,

Quote:
The slave should be of the type which will fire on the second flash.
With the D7 upgraded and up ( D7i and Hi) , you don't have this limitation anymore since you can use the in board flash in manual without preflasing.

Steve can even plug any flash in the D7Hi's sync terminal incuding the old old ones , I don't know any old flash having trigger voltage more than the D7Hi 400 volt limit ( isn't it?)
(My old 45-CT1 have a 225 V trigger)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 9:21 AM   #10

The D7 series of cameras are quite small, and I for one, am loath to mount a large flash onto the hotshoe. Just not sure how strong the mount is. So I bought an L brachet and I mount my flash on that . I have the Sunpak AF4000Z & 120J. I connect to the camera with a pc sync cord.

On my D7, I use a hotshoe adaptor to accept the sync cord, a problem you won't have with a 7Hi.

I have achieved excellent results with these flashes. Basically, you can use any flash you want, you do not need the expensive minolta flash units.

Also works great with external studio units. And now I can even use the builtin flash to trigger the studio flash units. Thank you minolta. Now if you can only find a way to retrofit a pc sync socket :-).

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote