Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 14, 2004, 8:46 PM   #1

I've narrowed my camera choice down to the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z3 and the Panasonic Lumix DMZ-FZ3.

While the reviews here and at other websites seem to give the edge to the Panasonic, after holding both cameras, I much prefer the size and feel of the KM Z3. (The Panasonic seems a bit bigger and feels realllllyyy plasticy.

While I've read some posts about the KM's softness and lack of detail in pictures when compared to the Panasonic head-to-head, I am curious what people's real-world experience has been with the Minolta Z3.

Thanks!

Argelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:41 AM   #2

I bought z3 2 months ago and found it a great fun, for it's outstanding zoom and macro ability. It may depend on what you expect most. The lack of sharpness can be neglected for an amateur like me.

See my GF's eyes.
Attached Images

microway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:53 AM   #3

The Chinese godess was captured by z3 from 10 meters away.
Attached Images

microway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 8:02 AM   #4

Argelius wrote:
Quote:
:blah:
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 8:19 AM   #5

I still hate Bush, but thought I'd change avatars, since the old one is too painful...

EDIT: Hhhmmmm...new Avatar isn't showing up...
Argelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:15 AM   #6

I looked at both these cameras today. I've played with the Z3 (or Z2 if that's all I found) every chance I've gotten in a store. Today I wanted to make sure that the Panasonic with it's wider aperature wouldn't win my heart. It didn't.

I found the FZ20 too large to allow me to have comfortable one handed operation. In addition, I hated the index finger zooming. The thumb zoom fits much better. I can reach nearly all of the buttons/selectors on the back of the camera with my thumb. The shutter trigger is in a natural position. It had the comfortable feel of a strong grip where the FZ20 seemed to strain my wrist.

The thing I liked most of the FZ20 was the larger, brighter LCD screen though I wish both of them had a swivel to protect them while they are kicking around. The FZ20 had a large enough font for me to read it without my reading glasses. Not likely to be wearing them while I'm shooting photos. But the Z3 was easily readable through the viewfinder when I adjusted the diopter.

I have a Nikon N80 that I love, for my more serious photography. I want the digital for a casual camera that is not as intrusive, yet allows me to have the super zoom that I can't live without.

Today, after months of research, I think the scale finally tipped and I will be ordering or buying locally (my next big decision) a Z3 in the very near future.

That's my opinion on the buying decisions, we'll have to wait to see my satisfaction of the quality of pics after I get to use it for a while. I will be using the dig camera more for posting on the net than printing, so I doubt I'll be too disappointed with how the photos look.
MacLoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:26 PM   #7

I am a newspaper reporter who takes his own pictures in a side variety of settings. All tech discussions must tempered with the caveat, "For the money." The Z3 has a lot of features and performs quite well in most areas, "for the money." The pictures do tend to be soft, but I have learned to live with it thanks to Photoshop. Low light shooting, however, is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE. I have experimented with just about every setting this camera has and low light pictures are not even close to what you would expect "For the money." If MInolta doesn't fix this with a Firmware update, I will probably get rid of it and try another product.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 5:11 AM   #8

Hi,

If you want to check results of z3 users, you can check this gallery from Frederik (thank's to him), i found this quality far away from what i can see in reviews an other digi cam website.

http://www.imageevent.com/microsaft/

Bye
capillonpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:54 AM   #9

hi pboerger! I'm user of F200 and want to switch to Z3(mostly because of really slow speed of lens and power hungry, and AntiShake system of Z3) although your message about ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE quality of night shots make me think twice before do such switching, maybe you or someone else could post some night shots or mail them to me?
Thanks!
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote