Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:45 PM   #1

Newbie to this camera, great pictures but each time i plug the darn thing in to the usb cord the computer reboots, not a big problem but one i would like to cure.:?
perpetualrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:37 PM   #2

I've heard of this problem before.

A friend of mine followed the instructions step by step on how to connect to my PC.

When he connected the cable into the camera and PC, Windows 2000 had no problem picking up the camera, but while the window message on the screen showing 'Hardware Found', the PC then reboots itself!

Suspect it is a compatibility problem with Windows 2000. Have you considered using Windows XP?

Best Regards
Gary Hendricks
Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, i am using XP Pro, funnily it only does it on my computer both my sons computers handle it no problem, both using XP.

Really got me confused, must be a setting but what i have no clue. Julian

Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:27 PM   #4
Administrator

Julian:

I've got a Konica KD-510z, which is identical to the Minolta G500 except for the name and model number.

It connects fine to PC's running Win 98 (after loading drivers), or to Win XP Pro (with or without SP2).

Have you installed SP2 (or even SP1)? Do you know if the problem was present prior to any Service Packs?

Have you upgraded the firmware in your G500 to version 3.38a? Anundocumented fix in firmware version 3.38a is that it will give you dramatically faster transfer times via USB. So, it may help with your connectivity issues.

You can get the firmware from this link. But, you'll need to copy a .bin file toa Secure Digital card to upgrade the camera. So, if you don't have USB connectivity now, you'll need to do this with a PC that does (or use a card reader, which is the recommended procedure from Konica-Minolta for the upgrade anyway).

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...etail=Software

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:29 PM   #5

Jim

all the computers have all the new service packs installed,yet the camera still only crashes mine, have a new pwr supply on board so not that , cant find anything wrong, the only other strange behaviour is with a game port , i have a Flight Sim on it and the when the transmitter and connectioin are made the computer will not post just sits there with the motor running but not in gear,:-)
Old Nov 19, 2004, 1:31 PM   #6
Administrator

Well...

I have seen USB problems reported after users installed SP2 on some machines.

The "fix" seems to be deleting all USB related drivers (one way to get to them is My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager) -- then, letting Windows find and reinstall everything again after a reboot (ignore new hardware found messages until after everything is deleted and you reboot).

But, I'd only do this if you are comfortable with PC's, and sure you know how to get all of the drivers reinstalled.

You may also have a conflict somewhere with another USB device or driver. I'd try unplugging everything else from your USB ports, and make sure to close all printer monitor applications, etc., looking at the USB ports to see if it works with the camera then.

I'd also try upgrading the camera's firmware (see my previous post), to see if much faster access to the camera via USB solves the problem.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 3:53 PM   #7

Dumped all the USB port drivers and rebooted , didn't help. so started moving things around, usb wise, found that the camera was conflicting with my web cam. solution, put the web cam into a front usb port and moved my Minolta to the rear port again dumped all the drivers and rebooted let xp find its own way sure enough that was what it was, works fine now,

Thanks for the help next i upgrade , Julian